Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

Default Punchdown Blocks?

jackson wrote:
"MP" pondered the following:
I will be moving into my new place soon, and all the wiring has been done
already.

At the place where all the Cat5 cable ends are, I'd like to get a
punchdown block and use it to make the wiring really clean.

I will have less than 10 cables and would like to know what I need to get.
That's where I will be putting the switch/router.

What "spec" do I need to look for in a punchdown block? Does it need to
have x amount of pairs, etc.

Thanks in advance.
MP

Why even bother with punch blocks or patch panels? More money, more places
for things to go wrong. Why not just terminate your Cat5e cables with the
RJ-45 (if they aren't already) and plug them directly into the
router/switch. You can get nice cable tags to put on each cable to ID it.

Don't do this, its ugly and less reliable.

Most patch bays and punch blocks I've seen put in (some even by 'pros')
remove to much of the twist violating the standard for cat5e cabling. With
less then 10 cables it doesn't seem unmanageable.

BTW - how come you are not cabling to cat6? FTTH (Fiber to the home) is on
it's way!!!!