Posted to alt.home.repair

Default phillips vs. roberts

which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

Soup Nazi wrote:
which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

I believe the Roberts (square drive recess) is better in many ways. It
stays on the driver "no hands" pretty well without needing magnetism.

The recesses "strip out" less frequently than Phillips do, which means
the bits will last longer, 'cause they wear when they spin in the screw
head recess.

The Pozidrive recess is a good compromise, Screws can be reliably driven
in initial assembly with the correct bit, but they can be removed for
servicing by anyone with a plain Phillips screwdriver.

McFeelys has a lot to say about square drive screws.

http://www.mcfeelys.com/

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message
et...
Soup Nazi wrote:
which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

I believe the Roberts (square drive recess) is better in many ways. It
stays on the driver "no hands" pretty well without needing magnetism.

The recesses "strip out" less frequently than Phillips do, which means the
bits will last longer, 'cause they wear when they spin in the screw head
recess.

Phillips was actually designed to slip out when power driven.

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to Jeff Wisnia :
Soup Nazi wrote:
which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

I believe the Roberts (square drive recess) is better in many ways. It
stays on the driver "no hands" pretty well without needing magnetism.

The recesses "strip out" less frequently than Phillips do, which means
the bits will last longer, 'cause they wear when they spin in the screw
head recess.

Note that the square drive screws and drivers usually available
to Americans are not really Robertson (not "Roberts" ;-).

The patented Robertson driver has a slight taper, and slightly
rounded corners. US "square drive" is not tapered and has very
sharp corners.

A "fresh" US square drive driver and a "real" robertson screw head
stick _so_ tightly that it can take a significant yank to get them
disengaged. This is advertised as a selling point of the US
square drivers here.

Unfortunately, if you have a pop-out, the driver is usually immediately
ruined and is difficult to use from then on.

Real robertson drivers do not suffer from this with Robertson
screws. So, while they don't stick quite so tightly, the drivers
really do last a long time, and they're just as good at keeping
grip under power.

I really don't know how well the US square drive work with
US square drive screws. Or Robertson drivers with US screws.

The Pozidrive recess is a good compromise, Screws can be reliably driven
in initial assembly with the correct bit, but they can be removed for
servicing by anyone with a plain Phillips screwdriver.

McFeelys has a lot to say about square drive screws.

Yeah, extols the virtues of Robertson screws without telling you
that the screws you buy from them aren't Robertson ;-)
[Or, at least, I don't think they are.]
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Soup Nazi wrote:
which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

roberts is much more secure in terms of not slipping out and shredding
the head, much like an allen head, but the phillips has the advantage
conversely, in that it can drive the screw when it's not absolutely
colinear, coming in at an angle, as long as you don't overdo it and let
it slip. there are those variants of the phillips which have different
shape tapers which have less of a problem, whose name I forget.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Soup Nazi" wrote in message
which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"

Personally I think RobertSON, but if I had my way I'd go with Torx

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Soup Nazi" wrote in message
which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

Depends on who is doing the work. I have much less problems with the square
drive, but my son keeps stripping out the heads and driver. OTOH, my son
has no problems using the Phillips screws and driver and I keep stripping
them out.

Mike D.

--
"In the future you may be here, but will your dreams?"

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 16:49:59 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Personally I think RobertSON, but if I had my way I'd go with Torx

Why did we have only two kinds for so long, and all of a sudden there
are many kinds of slots?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Mike Dobony wrote:
"Soup Nazi" wrote in message

which screw head is better? for a non-slip power driver's use. And what
type for shear-resistance? outdoor/indoor etc?

Depends on who is doing the work. I have much less problems with the square
drive, but my son keeps stripping out the heads and driver. OTOH, my son
has no problems using the Phillips screws and driver and I keep stripping
them out.

Mike D.

Hubby: Hey, how come our fourth kid doesn't look much like the others?

Wife: 'Cause he's the one that's yours, dummy!

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Phillips was actually designed to slip out when power driven.

I had to work on a friend's old Chevy Citation a few times. The trim
was attached with sheet metal screws that had no threads just below the
head, so they could just robotically drive them in and they couldn't
overtighten. The trouble with that was, it's damn hard to remove such a
thing while pressing the philips head driver into the screw. Just a
fine example of how GM at the time thought of the customer's happiness.