Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bathroom in Basement

Hey, although this isn't home repair, it is an addition, so I hope this
is a good forum for such a question...

We have a basement with a drain for a toilet, but not for any other
waste. Now, if I wanted to install a shower in this room, how would I
get that to drain without drilling into my foundation? I really would
rather find some method that doesn't require digging through solid
concrete in order to get a shower to drain in that room.

Thanks for your advice,

-Ben
AKA - Strongbadia u326034

Some online games that I like to play... Try 'em out.

a href=http://www.gamestotal.com/Multiplayer Online Games/abr a

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

The other alternative is to pump it up and out. To do so, the pump must be
lower than the shower base, so you break concrete or raise the shower. The
best solution is to break the concrete and attach to the waste line and
forget about a pump

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey, although this isn't home repair, it is an addition, so I hope this
is a good forum for such a question...

We have a basement with a drain for a toilet, but not for any other
waste. Now, if I wanted to install a shower in this room, how would I
get that to drain without drilling into my foundation? I really would
rather find some method that doesn't require digging through solid
concrete in order to get a shower to drain in that room.

Thanks for your advice,

-Ben
AKA - Strongbadia u326034

Some online games that I like to play... Try 'em out.

a href=http://www.gamestotal.com/Multiplayer Online Games/abr a

Posted to alt.home.repair

concete is likely not very thick, rent a electric jackhammer. I did
mine by hand about a 8 foot run in a couple hours after drilling a one
inch hole and finding floor really thin

sledgehammered hole bigger then dug under concrete hit with sledge it
fell apart. leterally.

I hadnt intended to do it by hand, my test hole was so easy I just went
ahead and finished the job.

the only thick concrete was around the floor drain so I avoided that
area...

for lots of cash you can get a upflush toilet but if you ask me renting
a electric jackhammer is way mnore cost efficent....

better long term appearance at home ressale time too

Posted to alt.home.repair

RBM (remove this) wrote:
The other alternative is to pump it up and out. To do so, the pump must be
lower than the shower base, so you break concrete or raise the shower. The
best solution is to break the concrete and attach to the waste line and
forget about a pump

Break the concrete like RBM said, with a rented jackhammer it is an
easy job. Consider code issues before you start this because you may
need to install a vent pipe for a shower and or sink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

for lots of cash you can get a upflush toilet but if you ask me renting
a electric jackhammer is way mnore cost efficent....

better long term appearance at home ressale time too

upflush toilet has fitting to accept shower which gets installed on a
platform, they have a shower only pump too which can sit on floor but
all around break up the concrete

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you *know* this is a drain for a toilet? (Not being smart.)
Does it have a closet flange? Was there a toilet before?

If it turns out to be a "floor drain", you have no assurance
just "where" it terminates.

If you simply want a shower, get a raised base shower stall
which has provision built-in for a 2" drain which can run right
at floor level. (And verify this actually is a sanitary drain.)

Well, it's centered in the room, it has a lid on it that is secured
with a butterfly nut, and the previous homeowners said that it was
isntalled for the purposes of having a toilet there, but they never
finished the project.

We do have a sewage ejector that is used for at least the washer and
dryer which are about 5 feet away at the moment. I'm assuming that
this toilet drain would be connected to that, so if it does have a
connector for a shower, that would probably be the best solution. I
just don't want to make a mistake and end up with sewage coming up out
of my shower drain if I do it wrong.