Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heated bath tile floor?

I am considering a tile floor for our master bath. If I don't get this
right, the woman of the house will have me in the dog house.

I like tile but she is afraid of it being too cold underfoot. For that
reason and because I like the idea of a little extra heat in there in the
winter, I like the idea of a heated tile floor. I would likely use electric,
but I am open to other suggestions.

If you have experience with this kind of setup, your comments will be
appreciated.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
DiG DiG is offline

HomeDepot, $200.00 for eletric mat (2' X 4') plus $150.00 for Switch..

Works well, Wife happy

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
I am considering a tile floor for our master bath. If I don't get this
right, the woman of the house will have me in the dog house.

I like tile but she is afraid of it being too cold underfoot. For
that reason and because I like the idea of a little extra heat in there in
the winter, I like the idea of a heated tile floor. I would likely use
electric, but I am open to other suggestions.

If you have experience with this kind of setup, your comments will be
appreciated.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you have HW heat, radiators, running some pipe would cost the least
to heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
If you have HW heat, radiators, running some pipe would cost the least
to heat.

That's what I did. The copper heating system in our old slab started
leaking. I installed a perimeter (SlantFin) radiator system. It all
works well but GF complains that the tiles on the floor in the bathroom
and in front of the kitchen sink are not as warm as they used to be.

I anticipated a bit of this and installed a full 8' SlantFin radiator in
the bathroom. It keeps it fairly pleasant and getting out of the shower
is not bad at all. The kitchen floor has some floor mats that keep the
feet insulated.

The grief from the distaff side has subsided and all is well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DiG wrote:
HomeDepot, $200.00 for eletric mat (2' X 4') plus $150.00 for Switch..

Works well, Wife happy

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you personally tried it?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
. ..
I am considering a tile floor for our master bath. If I don't
get this right, the woman of the house will have me in the dog house.

I like tile but she is afraid of it being too cold underfoot. For
that reason and because I like the idea of a little extra heat
in there in the winter, I like the idea of a heated tile floor. I
would likely use electric, but I am open to other suggestions.

If you have experience with this kind of setup, your comments
will be appreciated.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

m Ransley wrote:
If you have HW heat, radiators, running some pipe would cost the least
to heat.

Yea, I would, but I don't have HW heat. I have forced air. For most
things I like forced air, but there are a few exceptions.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
TP TP is offline

I have installed the mats. They work fine. If you have a large
area I have used the wires only. More cost affected. The 150$
thermostat is not really necessary, but nice. It takes about an
hour to get warm throughout. It is nice to the feet. I even have
it under a laminate floor, nice there too.
google: warm floors, check ebay.

Have Fun
TP

Joseph Meehan wrote:

DiG wrote:

HomeDepot, $200.00 for eletric mat (2' X 4') plus $150.00 for Switch..

Works well, Wife happy

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you personally tried it?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
m...

I am considering a tile floor for our master bath. If I don't
get this right, the woman of the house will have me in the dog house.

I like tile but she is afraid of it being too cold underfoot. For
that reason and because I like the idea of a little extra heat
in there in the winter, I like the idea of a heated tile floor. I
would likely use electric, but I am open to other suggestions.

If you have experience with this kind of setup, your comments
will be appreciated.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

TP wrote:
I have installed the mats. They work fine. If you have a large
area I have used the wires only. More cost affected. The 150$
thermostat is not really necessary, but nice. It takes about an
hour to get warm throughout. It is nice to the feet. I even have
it under a laminate floor, nice there too.
google: warm floors, check ebay.

Have Fun
TP

Thanks for the useful information. That is exactly the kind of help I
was looking for.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"DiG" wrote in message
HomeDepot, $200.00 for eletric mat (2' X 4') plus $150.00 for Switch..

Works well, Wife happy

You do realize that if you low a wire in that mat, the entire floor goes
down without a good chance of repair?

Water based (hydronic) heat is easy to find and simple to repair.

Ceramic floor tile opinion ares Home Repair 9 November 25th 05 11:49 PM
restoring tile floor - best procedure Simon UK diy 2 April 2nd 05 12:00 PM
tile floor help Redlocks Home Repair 2 February 22nd 05 12:40 AM
Vinyl floor tile question(s) davefr Home Repair 7 December 13th 04 04:17 PM