Posted to alt.home.repair
ares

Default Ceramic floor tile opinion

Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large room
that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's
peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do the
whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would probably
be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was
wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is the
same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that likely
to look bad?
ares

Posted to alt.home.repair

ares wrote:
Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large room
that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's
peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do the
whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would probably
be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was
wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is the
same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that likely
to look bad?
ares

Not at all. Take a sample of the tile with you when you choose the new
tile. Make sure they are the same thickness.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ares

Yep, I was thinking of that too. We have terrazzo in most of the rooms but
we added some placed on and enclosed a carport and put tile in different
parts of the house. They're not all the same types of tile from room to
room either, so I hope I'm not making too much of a hodgepodge of flooring
styles!
ares

wrote in message
oups.com...

ares wrote:
Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large

room
that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's
peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do

the
whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would

probably
be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was
wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is

the
same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that

likely
to look bad?
ares

Not at all. Take a sample of the tile with you when you choose the new
tile. Make sure they are the same thickness.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article nhqhf.19022$ZX3.6554@trnddc06, ares says...

Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large room
that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's
peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do the
whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would probably
be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was
wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is the
same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that likely
to look bad?
ares

Consider arranging the tile you have as a border around the new tile, or vice
versa. Then it would look like you planned it that way. Make sure any new tile
is the same thickness.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair
tiny dancer

"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

I agree with the previous opinions, as long as the tile is the same
thickness, I'd choose something color coordinated or color complementing and
you should be just fine.

td

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shaun Eli

If you have only enough for half, might it look a bit strange to put
one color in the middle and the other around the edges?

How about simply alternating? I've seen alternating black and white,
for example, in catalogues, so it's got to look okay in person. Though
I don't know about how it might look if it's, say, patterned blue and
patterned red.

You can always simply lay them out without adhering them to the floor,
just to see what it might look like.

Shaun Eli
http://www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smart Mind (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn

ares wrote:
Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large room
that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's
peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do the
whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would probably
be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was
wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is the
same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that likely
to look bad?
ares

There are all sorts of patterns and decorated tiles being used on
floors, so it is your choice. I personally don't care for patterns,
decorated tile on floor because it is too permanent. We have large -
20" - porcelain tile in LR/DR. Light taupe stone texture, same color
grout. I don't like grout lines being the focal point. That said, if
you know the brand, shop for same or accessory tile. You could use a
pattern, checkerboard, one type center of room and one type as border, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Someone gave us a stack of very large floor tile. We have a very large room
that could use a floor covering and we don't want carpet; currently it's
peeling painted cement floor. There is not enough of this tile to do the
whole room, but possibly one half of the room. But using it would probably
be a substantial savings on the cost to tile the whole room. So I was
wondering, might it be a bad idea to try to find another tile that is the
same size and perhaps make a pattern with the ones I have, or is that likely
to look bad?

Why should the tiles be the same size? (and what's "very large", 12"?)

Posted to alt.home.repair
ares

It's sort of earth toned; I was thinking either one in the middle, or
checkerboard, or, possibly even stripes; but I think checkerboard might look
better than stripe. I've seen lots of black and white checkerboard.
ares

"Shaun Eli" wrote in message
oups.com...
If you have only enough for half, might it look a bit strange to put
one color in the middle and the other around the edges?

How about simply alternating? I've seen alternating black and white,
for example, in catalogues, so it's got to look okay in person. Though
I don't know about how it might look if it's, say, patterned blue and
patterned red.

You can always simply lay them out without adhering them to the floor,
just to see what it might look like.

Shaun Eli
http://www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smart Mind (sm)

Posted to alt.home.repair
ares

The tile looks approximately 2'X2'. Same size, or at LEAST the same
thickness so it sits flat on the floor of course, but same size because it
would be easier for me to arrange them so they look best and more
symmetrical. I realize that other sizes could be used for a more complex
pattern.
ares

Ceramic Floor Question Mat Home Repair 9 September 19th 05 08:38 PM
review of mm16 ceramic guides Slowhand Woodworking 7 June 25th 05 01:01 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Cutting hole in INCREDIBLY HARD ceramic tile GeekBoy Home Repair 12 June 14th 04 10:22 PM
Is tungsten carbide ferrous? benwoodward.com Metalworking 37 February 11th 04 06:40 PM