Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Installing a ceiling fan

I know this is a common topic and I read a few threads but would
appreciate any help.

My guest room is pre-wired for ceiling fan. There are 2 switches (one
for fan and one for light).

The junction box has 4 wires in it. Black, White, Red and Bare
(Ground).

I bought a fan with a separate remote control. After I connected the
remote to the fan control, I have a black and a white wire coming out
of the remote control and a green from the fan (for the ground).

My question is which of the wires in the junction box should I use. I
guess the Black is hot wire for the fan, so that is easy to connect it
to the black on the junction. Should the white be connected to the
white on the junction or the red wire.

Your response is appreciated.

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I would think that the red would be the Hot for Light.

Typically when you run a circuit to a device that needs 2 hots, you run a
14/3 or 12/3 Which is a Hot Black, Hot Red, Neutral White, and Copper
Ground. The voltage for both hots will travel back through the 1 Neutral.

You should also have in the Junction box a Black, White and Ground feed from
the power source as well as the Red, Black, White, Ground.

If All that you have in the Junction is Red, Black, White, Ground, then you
Have some Figuring out to do. That would mean that the power feed is at the
Fan and they are bringing the Power via 14/3 or 12/3 to the Junction and
using one wire for the Power In and the other 2 for the Power Out to the
Fan/Light.

I'm not sure if there is a standard color Scheme for that. You might have to
look at the Junction Box under the Fan to see where the wires are fed from.
You might be able to use the Ground as a Point of Reference and use a Meter
to figure out which is the Hot Leg of the three. Then trial and Error for
the Light/Fan Legs.

Scott-=

"newbee" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know this is a common topic and I read a few threads but would
appreciate any help.

My guest room is pre-wired for ceiling fan. There are 2 switches (one
for fan and one for light).

The junction box has 4 wires in it. Black, White, Red and Bare
(Ground).

I bought a fan with a separate remote control. After I connected the
remote to the fan control, I have a black and a white wire coming out
of the remote control and a green from the fan (for the ground).

My question is which of the wires in the junction box should I use. I
guess the Black is hot wire for the fan, so that is easy to connect it
to the black on the junction. Should the white be connected to the
white on the junction or the red wire.

Your response is appreciated.

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Aug 2006 07:23:09 -0700, "newbee"
wrote:

I know this is a common topic and I read a few threads but would
appreciate any help.

My guest room is pre-wired for ceiling fan. There are 2 switches (one
for fan and one for light).

The junction box has 4 wires in it. Black, White, Red and Bare
(Ground).

I bought a fan with a separate remote control. After I connected the
remote to the fan control, I have a black and a white wire coming out
of the remote control and a green from the fan (for the ground).

My question is which of the wires in the junction box should I use. I
guess the Black is hot wire for the fan, so that is easy to connect it
to the black on the junction. Should the white be connected to the
white on the junction or the red wire.

Your response is appreciated.

Thanks

SR.

The white is neutral or common.
Red and Black are your two hot wires, one for the fan and one for the
light.

So all your white wires should connect together. The black should
go to black and the Red should go to either a 2nd black wire or to the
red blue or whatever wire the instructions say is hot.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

I wonder if you have duplication of efforts here?
Remote receiver is typically wired with black and white in from power,
and three wires out (black white and blue, i think?) to the fan.
when you say the remote has black and white coming out of it, do you
mean it's wired to the fan and the black and white need to be connected
to power, or the other way around?

newbee wrote:
I know this is a common topic and I read a few threads but would
appreciate any help.

My guest room is pre-wired for ceiling fan. There are 2 switches (one
for fan and one for light).

The junction box has 4 wires in it. Black, White, Red and Bare
(Ground).

I bought a fan with a separate remote control. After I connected the
remote to the fan control, I have a black and a white wire coming out
of the remote control and a green from the fan (for the ground).

My question is which of the wires in the junction box should I use. I
guess the Black is hot wire for the fan, so that is easy to connect it
to the black on the junction. Should the white be connected to the
white on the junction or the red wire.

Your response is appreciated.

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, sorry about that. It should say REMOTE HAS BLACK AND WHITE COMING
INTO IT and not out of it. I connected the other ends to the fan wires
appropriately.

I now understand that the RED is hot. I only have one black wire into
the REMOTE and a white. But the remote has both a FAN and a LIGHT
switch. Where do I connect the RED?

Thanks for your reply.

SR.

newbee wrote:
I know this is a common topic and I read a few threads but would
appreciate any help.

My guest room is pre-wired for ceiling fan. There are 2 switches (one
for fan and one for light).

The junction box has 4 wires in it. Black, White, Red and Bare
(Ground).

I bought a fan with a separate remote control. After I connected the
remote to the fan control, I have a black and a white wire coming out
of the remote control and a green from the fan (for the ground).

My question is which of the wires in the junction box should I use. I
guess the Black is hot wire for the fan, so that is easy to connect it
to the black on the junction. Should the white be connected to the
white on the junction or the red wire.

Your response is appreciated.

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

That remote probably has only one power input, rather than the 2 for
the fan/light. You don't have a place to connect red. Don't use it
(put a wire nut over the end so it won't short to anything). You can't
use separate wall switches here.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

Scott Townsend wrote:
If you only have the Black, Red, White, ground in the Junction box and
nothing else, then You are probably only dealing with a Hot and 2 Switch
Legs.

Many times electricians will wire up the Power Feed to the Light/Fan and Run
a Switch Leg down to the Switch. So in the Case of just one switch you would
only have Black, White & Ground. Hot would come in on Back, go through the
Switch and then back out the White to the device. So there would be no
Neutral in the Junction box even though there is a White.

Say what? If there is a single switch, it's wired so the black at the
ceiling box is coming from the switch and the white is neutral. White
is never used to run power from a switch to a device.

In the Case of the Black, Red, White, you would have the Hot come in on the
Black, Feed it to the 2 Switches and then back out on the Red and White to
control the Fan and the Light Separately.

Say what? A black, red and white, like the OP has in the ceiling with
two switches is wired with the black coming from one switch, red from
the other switch, and white is neutral.

Scott-
oups.com...

newbee wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"newbee" wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, sorry about that. It should say REMOTE HAS BLACK AND WHITE COMING
INTO IT and not out of it. I connected the other ends to the fan wires
appropriately.

I now understand that the RED is hot. I only have one black wire into
the REMOTE and a white. But the remote has both a FAN and a LIGHT
switch. Where do I connect the RED?

Just cap off the red wire with electrical tape or a wirenut. The remote
will handle all fan functions and you will have a spare wall switch that
does nothing.

Thanks for your reply.

SR.

newbee wrote:
I know this is a common topic and I read a few threads but would
appreciate any help.

My guest room is pre-wired for ceiling fan. There are 2 switches (one
for fan and one for light).

The junction box has 4 wires in it. Black, White, Red and Bare
(Ground).

I bought a fan with a separate remote control. After I connected the
remote to the fan control, I have a black and a white wire coming out
of the remote control and a green from the fan (for the ground).

My question is which of the wires in the junction box should I use. I
guess the Black is hot wire for the fan, so that is easy to connect it
to the black on the junction. Should the white be connected to the
white on the junction or the red wire.

Your response is appreciated.

Thanks

SR.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8 Aug 2006 12:12:35 -0700, wrote:

Scott Townsend wrote:
[...]

Depending on how the switch is wired, white may be HOT going TO the
switch. In that case it's SUPPOSED to be marked with black markings,
but many are not.

Scott-
oups.com...

newbee wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 16:23:34 -0400, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"newbee" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, sorry about that. It should say REMOTE HAS BLACK AND WHITE COMING
INTO IT and not out of it. I connected the other ends to the fan wires
appropriately.

I now understand that the RED is hot. I only have one black wire into
the REMOTE and a white. But the remote has both a FAN and a LIGHT
switch. Where do I connect the RED?

Just cap off the red wire with electrical tape or a wirenut. The remote
will handle all fan functions and you will have a spare wall switch that
does nothing.

It would do nothing now, but could be useful later. The OP could use
it to light the Washington Christmas tree, or to start the launch
sequence on the ICBMs.