Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shallow Well Pump Seal Question

I have a cistern with a WellAce shallow well jet pump in my basement.

http://www.waterace.com/well_3.html

Between the input/output end and the motor end, it has started dripping
water underneath. There are four bolts holding these two parts
together. I contacted the mfr and they said there's a replacement seal
kit I can buy as the seal probably just wore out. We just moved in a
few weeks ago and the house had been largely vacant for a while, so I
think the seal probably dried out and new usage caused it to start
leaking.

The mfr said to separate the two sections to install the seal. My
question is this...

Will the pump lose it's prime? If so, what will I need to do to
reprime it after the repair? The instruction manual has info on
filling the pump with a garden hose, but I don't think that's easily
possible, now, as the system is PVC'd together.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Posted to alt.home.repair

herlihyboy wrote:
Will the pump lose it's prime? If so, what will I need to do to

reprime it after the repair? The instruction manual has info on
filling the pump with a garden hose, but I don't think that's easily
possible, now, as the system is PVC'd together.

Since you have already succsessfuly contactet the manufacturer, I don't
see why you wouldn't ask them this question??

Posted to alt.home.repair

According to herlihyboy :

Will the pump lose it's prime? If so, what will I need to do to
reprime it after the repair? The instruction manual has info on
filling the pump with a garden hose, but I don't think that's easily
possible, now, as the system is PVC'd together.

There's a good chance it will lose its prime. Depending on how
good the foot valve is and how long you take to fix it.

Most (all?) pumps have threaded holes in the pump housing.
One will usually be "occupied" by the fitting to the pressure switch.

The others will be "occupied" by plugs - usually with square heads.
Find a suitable upwards facing plug, remove it, and fill with
water via a funnel.

Jet pumps can sometimes be difficult to prime. Depends on how high
a head the pump has to raise.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair