Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to tell if audio equipment is 110V or 220V?

I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only
thing I have is a Voltmeter.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Lucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only
thing I have is a Voltmeter.
Thanks!

The plug should be a give-away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Toller wrote:
I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only
thing I have is a Voltmeter.
Thanks!

The plug should be a give-away.

Usually there's a slide switch near the ac cord entering the deck saying
110/220. At any rate, put a 110 plug on it and plug it into the 110 outlet.
If 110, should work normally. If wired for 220, any incandescant lamps will
be *very* dim. (like the vu-meters). You're not going to hurt
a 220 deck by plugging it into 110.

lee h

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

Lucky wrote:
I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only
thing I have is a Voltmeter.
Thanks!

You could try it on 110V and see if it works.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Lucky wrote:
I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220?

What type of connection or plug is on it? If a standard type plug, probably
110

Posted to alt.home.repair

If he had "converted" it, it would be easy to work out. If it didn't have a
220Vtransformer, he'd have to install one. The solder joints would be a
giveaway.

Lots of trolls patrol these waters....

"Lucky" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220? Only
thing I have is a Voltmeter.
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

Lucky wrote:
I was given an old Sony tape deck. The original deck specs 110V. The
person who gave it to me, told me the power supply burned and he had it
fixed but can't recall if he had it converted for 220V...
Is there a way I can find out if this is to work with 110 or 220?

What type of connection or plug is on it? If a standard type plug,
probably 110

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on location. Thailand, for one, uses a two
prong plug that looks like a standard U.S. item, but is used with 220 volts.
Hong Kong uses many different plug types with 220v, one of which is the same
2-prong style. I think, if memory serves, that Myannmar, Laos and perhaps
Malaysia are the same -- Regards --

Posted to alt.home.repair