Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Gas stoves with pilot lights

A few months ago I said I saw a stove at Home Depot that used pilot
lights. Someone didn't believe me, and I said I'd check again, and I
finally remembered.

Yup, they sell them. Americana brand. I suppose that is there house
brand. It was the cheapest one they had of course, 300 dollars iirc.
The one next to it for 350 had electronic starters.

I liked the cheap one. It was simple but pretty. I think it came in
white and black, and it seemed perfectly good enough. Just like the
one I grew up with. Except for one problem, that might or might not
kill it for me. The broiler drawer wasn't a drawer. It was just a
door, and when opened, only could slide the broiler tray out maybe
3/4s of its length before it would fall out (I'm guessing because the
broiler tray was in the oven, wrapped in cardboard, and I didn't think
I should move it since I wasn't going to buy anything.)

All the others were like I grew up with, a drawer, which one could
pull out and see most of the food that was on the tray, and one could
pull the tray out of the drawer, too, to see the whole tray.

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler. (Most of
my life, maybe my entire life with gas ovens, a match was needed to
light the oven. I didn't find that inconvenient.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

My old gas furnace used 8GJ (80 therms) per year for the ONE pilot light -
about $80. I would buy the electronic one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Martik" wrote in message

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Years ago, I was touting the advantage and cost savings of pilotless
ignition ($40 more) to an elderly lady. She said she'd have to think about
it and left. She went home and called the gas company and was told she
would save about $10 per year. She came back the next day and bought the
model with pilot as she said...she wasn't all that sure she would live long
enough to realize the savings. Like I said this was many (almost 30) years
ago and I'm sure gas prices have gone up since. Government regulations were
changed to require any range with an electric cord had to have pilotless
ignition. In Arizona, we used to sell a lot to people who lived far out in
the desert or on the reservation where they didn't have electricity.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

One other thing to consider is the cost to repair those pilotless
stoves. Mine quit sparking last year. I was quoted well over $100
for the parts. I just bought a 50cent Bic lighter and keep it next to
the stove. It's not that big of a hassle to "flick my Bic" when I
turn on the burner. Doing it this way actually saves both gas and
electric, except for the 50cent lighter. A pilot model can also have
the pilot shut off and use a lighter. Being on a fixed budget, one
learns to find ways to save money and that saves energy. The small
inconvenience of flicking the lighter is surely not anywhere close to
$50 worth of gas, or over $100 for parts. Some people are just
getting too soft these days and want everything to be instant and push
button. My parents had to haul in firewood, make kindling, and start
an actual fire. To me that's work..... I'll stick to my gas and Bic
lighter, and that's convenient enough for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 00:36:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

[...]

Actually almost every maker of gas ranges still offers a base model
with standing pilots.

There's a demand for them, not just based upon cost but based upon
places where there might not be electricity or an electric outlet near
the range.

I'm a landlord and I also buy them for most of my apartments.
Considering that I've had tenants trash expensive stoves as rapidly as
they trash cheap ones, the cheaper ones are the way to go for me.
Ever see a range catch fire because literally two inches of grease has
built up under the burners (that was an electric range)?
Having tenants sit or stand on open oven doors also does wonders for
them...

I have a big old 36 inch gas range in a cottage.
When I'm not using the gas heat and doing minimal cooking, the bill is
virtually the minimum monthly service amount.

That's with a range that has FOUR standing pilots. It has two pilots
for the top burners, one for the oven and one for a space heater. Yes,
it's an old "Gas & Gas" heating/cooking range.

Another poster stated that it cost him $80/year to run a pilot?
I find that hard to believe.

Doug

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have standing pilots on my gas apppliances. The thing I don't like
about the pilots on the stove is that they noticeably heat up the
kitchen. it is especially annoying this time of year when I am using
an air conditioner in that space. yea, I could turn off the pilots if
it bothers me so much but it doesn't bother me so much that I have
snuffed them. I like the electronic ones though and would like to have
one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They are good for lanlords where the tennant pays cooking gas since they
provide extra heat to an apt actualy lowering the lanlords heating bill
in winter. Mine heats my kitchen 5f in winter. A downside in summer is
they put an extra load on the Ac, I turn off my pilots in summer and my
kitchen is 5f cooler. Use a welder spark lighter to light the pilots, it
lights them better and its cheaper than buying lighters. For a homeowner
they just waste gas and make extra heat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
[...]

During the winter you will come out slightly ahead, but you will be
paying double during the summer.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
A few months ago I said I saw a stove at Home Depot that used pilot
lights. Someone didn't believe me, and I said I'd check again, and I
finally remembered.

Yup, they sell them. Americana brand. I suppose that is there house
brand. It was the cheapest one they had of course, 300 dollars iirc.
The one next to it for 350 had electronic starters.

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler. (Most of
my life, maybe my entire life with gas ovens, a match was needed to
light the oven. I didn't find that inconvenient.)

There are about 300 matches in a twenty-nine cent box, say 1/10 cent each.
How often do you light a burner?

Do the math.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler.

Running a pilot on a singe stove is not a big deal, but it is when
multiplied by how many gas stoves in the world. 10 million? 30 million?
I'm sure it is a lot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:

Running a pilot on a singe stove is not a big deal, but it is when
multiplied by how many gas stoves in the world. 10 million? 30 million?
I'm sure it is a lot.

I guess it was only a matter of time...

"The economy of scale" has, in the 21st century, morphed into
"The eco-impact of scale".

You neglect to consider the environmental impact of the manufacture and
disposal of the alternative piezo systems, most of which are replaced several
times during the time that a single pilot will operate flawlessly.

How about the countless oil drilling operations that "flare" waste gas? That
alone would probably operate your 10-30 million pilot lights for years.

It's all about proportion and balance, folks. The restriction/elimination of
DDT probably saved a few thousand bald eagles. How does that compare to the
MILLIONS of people that died of malaria as a result of the same DDT
restriction/elimination?

I wish our (bought-new in 1991) gas range required manual ignition for the
oven. As it is, it has a heating element/glow plug that has died, and been
replaced, twice. As infrequently as the oven is used overall, it would have
been A LOT cheaper - for ME - to have a standing pilot or, better, required
lighting with a match.

Near my home is a "new" neighborhood where the oldest home is probably 4-5
years old. The area was developed with GAS LAMPS for street lights. I know
they have not resurrected The Old Lamplighter job and that these dual-mantle
units operated night AND day. I think I'd prefer high pressure sodium.
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Like I said this was many (almost 30) years
ago and I'm sure gas prices have gone up since. Government regulations were
changed to require any range with an electric cord had to have pilotless
ignition.

Oh, yeah, this pilot light stove didn't even have a clock (like all of
the gas stoves I've used). The gas stove for 350 next to it had a
digital display which was probably a clock only, and maybe a timer.
It wasn't plugged in so I could't tell.

In Arizona, we used to sell a lot to people who lived far out in
the desert or on the reservation where they didn't have electricity.

That makes sense. They can't very well bbe expected to use electronic
ignition without electricty. I wonder who buys them in Dallas and
Baltimore, where I've seen them for sale.

I was pretty sure that pilot lights were expensive, but it's good to
know how expensive in case the topic comes up.

As to wasting, sometimes I think we could power the entire country of
Dahomey with the electricity used in US public bathrooms when no one
is in the building.
Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 03:27:02 -0500, wrote:

[...]

You're right about things being easier, and maybe right about people
being too soft now. When my parents got married the furnace was coal,
and when my father was at work, I guess my mother had to stoke the
furnace. She was healthy but 37 and 5'4" and not in a position to
grow many new muscles.

So he had a stoker put in, which meant he only had to fill the stoker
in the morning, when he got home from work, and maybe before going to
bed. Just as much coal...the stoker just put it in the furnace
gradually. (I think some later railroad engines worked that way??)
Doing so much at once made him tired, and he was 53 years old )and
often walked two miles to work. (worked downtown but it was a small
town.)

So he changed it to a gas furnace. Then there was no work.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 15:08:09 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler.

Running a pilot on a singe stove is not a big deal, but it is when
multiplied by how many gas stoves in the world. 10 million? 30 million?
I'm sure it is a lot.

Of course. I just wanted ammunition for those who don't care about the
other 30 million. Or care a bit, but mostly worry about their own
cash flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:38:16 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

mm wrote:

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler. (Most of
my life, maybe my entire life with gas ovens, a match was needed to
light the oven. I didn't find that inconvenient.)

During the winter you will come out slightly ahead, but you will be
paying double during the summer.

If "you" means me specifically, I think "double" is only if I use AC
and I rarely do.

But when I do have the AC on, this past week, every thing I do bothers
me, like if I leave a 75 watt light on, I wonder how many watts it
takes the AC to remove those 75 watts.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 09:03:24 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

mm wrote:
A few months ago I said I saw a stove at Home Depot that used pilot
lights. Someone didn't believe me, and I said I'd check again, and I
finally remembered.

Yup, they sell them. Americana brand. I suppose that is there house
brand. It was the cheapest one they had of course, 300 dollars iirc.
The one next to it for 350 had electronic starters.

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler. (Most of
my life, maybe my entire life with gas ovens, a match was needed to
light the oven. I didn't find that inconvenient.)

There are about 300 matches in a twenty-nine cent box, say 1/10 cent each.
How often do you light a burner?

Do the math.

I meant if one used the pilots, but I'd be willing to turn them off if
I could.

Did the old gas stoves have a way to turn off the pilots without
damaging them?

Do the new ones tell you how to turn off the pilots?
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jim Redelfs" wrote in message

You neglect to consider the environmental impact of the manufacture and
disposal of the alternative piezo systems, most of which are replaced
several
times during the time that a single pilot will operate flawlessly.

True, and many jobs were created to manufacture those systems. One of the
most used, Norton, is still made in the USA also. (but not for much
longer)

How about the countless oil drilling operations that "flare" waste gas?
That
alone would probably operate your 10-30 million pilot lights for years.

Not much of a consideration. That gas would be burned off anyway.

Near my home is a "new" neighborhood where the oldest home is probably 4-5
years old. The area was developed with GAS LAMPS for street lights. I
know
they have not resurrected The Old Lamplighter job and that these
dual-mantle
units operated night AND day. I think I'd prefer high pressure sodium.

I'd prefer no lights in most cases. We waste a lot of energy lighting
unused parking lots and roads with no traffic.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 19:19:03 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

How about the countless oil drilling operations that "flare" waste gas?
That
alone would probably operate your 10-30 million pilot lights for years.

Not much of a consideration. That gas would be burned off anyway.

I thought that was his point. I don't know about drilling, but I
think refineries that used to burn off a lot of gas have come up with
some way to use it or sell it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I meant if one used the pilots, but I'd be willing to turn them off if
I could.

Did the old gas stoves have a way to turn off the pilots without
damaging them?

Do the new ones tell you how to turn off the pilots?

theres a flame height adjustment screw, tighten it gently and the pilot
will go out.

I did that on our old stove it had 2 pilots I turned off one.

pilot lights on stoves can be a fire hazard, had realtive who forgot
kitchen clean up wrag on stove, had pretty bad fire.

there new stove was pilotless

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

You can still use the Bic long after it runs out of fuel - all you need is
the spark. And with a little patience one can also replace the flint in the
Bic or use a piezo lighter

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

I meant if one used the pilots, but I'd be willing to turn them off if
I could.

Did the old gas stoves have a way to turn off the pilots without
damaging them?

Do the new ones tell you how to turn off the pilots?

theres a flame height adjustment screw, tighten it gently and the pilot
will go out.

I did that on our old stove it had 2 pilots I turned off one.

pilot lights on stoves can be a fire hazard, had realtive who forgot
kitchen clean up wrag on stove, had pretty bad fire.

there new stove was pilotless

The answer is to have a valve to turn on and off the pilot on the
front panel next to the one that controls the flame.

Starting dinner? Turn on the burner, light with Bic or similar, open
the pilot valve and back-light the pilot automatically. Now turn on
and off your burners as required.

Dinner all over? Turn off the pilot valves. Best of both worlds.

There's a reason all commercial ranges have pilot lights.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Leave pilot offg permanetely if you want.

Open valve slightly a IMMEDIATELY light with fireplace lighter or
whatever.

Dont turn burner off till your completely done cooking. Burner off
means gas is off/

Just think of how you use a gas grill