Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Gas stoves with pilot lights

A few months ago I said I saw a stove at Home Depot that used pilot
lights. Someone didn't believe me, and I said I'd check again, and I
finally remembered.

Yup, they sell them. Americana brand. I suppose that is there house
brand. It was the cheapest one they had of course, 300 dollars iirc.
The one next to it for 350 had electronic starters.

I liked the cheap one. It was simple but pretty. I think it came in
white and black, and it seemed perfectly good enough. Just like the
one I grew up with. Except for one problem, that might or might not
kill it for me. The broiler drawer wasn't a drawer. It was just a
door, and when opened, only could slide the broiler tray out maybe
3/4s of its length before it would fall out (I'm guessing because the
broiler tray was in the oven, wrapped in cardboard, and I didn't think
I should move it since I wasn't going to buy anything.)

All the others were like I grew up with, a drawer, which one could
pull out and see most of the food that was on the tray, and one could
pull the tray out of the drawer, too, to see the whole tray.

Considering only the consumer for a minute, I wonder how long it
actually takes to use 50 dollars worth of gas for two pilot lights for
the top burners, and maybe another one for the oven/broiler. (Most of
my life, maybe my entire life with gas ovens, a match was needed to
light the oven. I didn't find that inconvenient.)