JP

Default Glowworm Pilot light problems

I have a problem with my Glowworm Economy plus 50F boiler (circa 1996)
and would appreciate any advice before I call the service engineer.
This boiler has an automatic pilot light ignition i.e. the pilot light
is normally out, but is ignited automatically whenever the boiler is
required to provide heat.

I 've had problems with the pilot not lighting off and on for several years.
I think each time the engineer has cleaned out the pilot injector.
I've been away for a couple of weeks and turned off all the timer devices.
The pilot refused to light, so after a bit of googling on here I've taken
off the injector and blown down it, replaced it and hey presto I've got a
very small pilot light. However this still won't light the main boiler.
Also the spark keeps firing even though the pilot is lit.(which I think may
have been the case for ages)

Is there a method of increasing the flow of gas to make the pilot light
bigger. Would that work?

Any further suggestions as to what I may try or what might be wrong.
Thanks

rusty

"JP" wrote in message
[...]

My even-older "economy" Glowworm boiler has a weak pilot, which was caused
by clogging of the microporous blowback filter in the pipe just below the
pilot flame. The purity of the gas supply isn't what it used to be. Tends
to fail to light in cold weather.

Never bothered to fix it, as there is a cover plate to poke a match through,
but pilot assemblies can be bought if you Google for "Glowworm pilot" and
can find someone to fit it. One guy reckoned he took his pilot assembly out
and heated it with a blowlamp to clean it up.

rusty