Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged?

Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat
soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall
doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd
punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed.
Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged
irreversibly so???

Posted to alt.home.repair

your better served replacing it, as it wouldnt patch well and will be
permanetely soft and want to fall apart.

drywall is cheap. just replace it.

use water resistant type if you suspect it will get wet again

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat
soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall
doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd
punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed.
Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged
irreversibly so???

Replace it (cut and patch as required) and spray the interior of the wall
cavity with a solution of bleach while you have it open. Depending on your
climate this may be overkill but it's cheap insurance against mold.
Especially if it was a drain leak as opposed to a supply line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

first let it dry then note if the drywall is falling apart, which is to
be expected.

its hard to properl;y patch a cracker, better to replace the area