DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/171368-wet-drywall-irreversibly-damaged.html)

[email protected] August 3rd 06 11:57 PM

Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged?

Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat
soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall
doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd
punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed.
Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged
irreversibly so???

[email protected] August 4th 06 12:19 AM

Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged?

your better served replacing it, as it wouldnt patch well and will be
permanetely soft and want to fall apart.

drywall is cheap. just replace it.

use water resistant type if you suspect it will get wet again

pipedown August 4th 06 05:14 AM

Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged?

wrote in message
oups.com...
Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat
soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall
doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd
punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed.
Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged
irreversibly so???

Replace it (cut and patch as required) and spray the interior of the wall
cavity with a solution of bleach while you have it open. Depending on your
climate this may be overkill but it's cheap insurance against mold.
Especially if it was a drain leak as opposed to a supply line.

JimL August 4th 06 05:56 AM

On 3 Aug 2006 15:57:12 -0700, wrote:

Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat
soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall
doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd
punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed.
Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged
irreversibly so???

I'd just patch it with joint compound if needed.

jeffc August 4th 06 07:31 PM

"JimL" wrote in message
On 3 Aug 2006 15:57:12 -0700, wrote:

Due to a water leak, I have some drywall which appears to be somewhat
soaked. The paint is sort of bubbling off the drywall and the drywall
doesn't appear real solid (sort of almost feels if I punched hard, I'd
punch right through it kind of thing). Now the leak has been fixed.
Will the wet drywall dry out good as new or is the soaked part damaged
irreversibly so???

I'd just patch it with joint compound if needed.

That's probably a bad idea. I agree with another poster that drywall is
cheap, but the labor is not necessarily so. You can learn to do it
yourself, but if you don't want to it should be a reasonable cost to fix it.
Maybe like $100, depending on how much painting has to be done.

[email protected] August 4th 06 08:24 PM

Wet Drywall - Is it irreversibly damaged?

first let it dry then note if the drywall is falling apart, which is to
be expected.

its hard to properl;y patch a cracker, better to replace the area