Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No water to Shower - help!

When I discovered no water would come to the tub/shower in my guest
bathroom (which hasn't been used in quiet a while), I called a plumber.

I was quoted a price of $350 to fix the problem. Having had no
experience of hiring a plumber before (ex always took care of such
repairs) I went on and OK'd the price. This was to get water back to
where one could either take a shower or tub bath.

After working for about four hours one afternoon, the plumber said he'd
have to return two days later to finish the job. He allowed his
company had him set up with four new jobs he had to get to before
finishing the job he'd started for me.

I protested, and he did show up the next morning around 9AM, working
until around 1AM, when he announced he'd done all he could for the $350
price. He had replaced the shower head, which I had not asked to be
done. He replaced the handle to turn the water on, which I'd not asked
for, but assumed it was necessary to get the water running to the
shower and bathtub. He had gotten the water running to the bathtub,
but not the shower!

This plumber allowed he'd now have to tear out the bathtub to replace
the pipes to get water to come out of the shower, which would come at
great expense to me!

OK, I'll admit, I know nothing about plumbing. But I do "feel" I was
being taken for an expensive ride by this plumber.

Can someone please tell me how I can get the shower to work without
having to take out the bathtub, then retile around the tub?

I shutter at the mess and the cost!

~Jazzy~

Posted to alt.home.repair

Somewhat "after the fact," but in getting contractors/tradesmen in, it
is prudent to talk to people about what experience they have had, and
with who.... Sorry, but something is amiss here. Seriously, without
taking a close look, it is not clear why you would not be getting water
in the guest tub. Usual suspects are a clogged valve, or a shutoff
valve that has been shut off. If the plumbing is "old" -- read that as
more than 15-20 years, all bets are off, especially if you live in a
hard water area.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jazzy wrote:
[...]

Hello: If you have spout water and not shower, usually that spells a
diverter problem. The diverter is either on the tub spout or located in
the valve. If its on the spout, it may be stuck from lack of use.
either free it up or replace the spout. Spouts are usually screwed on
and you need channel lock pliers with wide bite. Protect the spout
from damage (if you want to reuse it) with a rag. They can often be put
back on with just hand strength and teflon tape. After the spout is
removed you can block the tub outlet with a rag and water should divert
up and out the shower.
Diverters in valves are usualy repaceable, but can also get
clogged or jammed from lack of use. try freeing it up with movement and
maybe light tapping with the handle end of screwdrier. Otherwise, turn
water off to tub and dismantle valve to get at diverter. Taking apart a
valve is often self explanatory because there is usually only one nut
at a time to remove. But, for some help go online to the brand's
website for assistance. You can probably find a blowup of the valve
which describes how to get at the diverter. If it's really been a long
time since you've used it. try taking off the showerhead and rap the
valve body with handle of screwdriver a number of times to dislodge
whatever. Do this with water on for water pressure to help. good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jazzy wrote:
[...]

This sounds like a one (maybe two) meal job.

I read a story about a single woman in New York who, when she had an
intractable repair job, would trade the job to a single fellow living in her
building for a home-cooked meal. The mental conversations went like this:

She: "He can put up a towel rack so it won't fall down, a regular
miracle-worker. All I've got to do is throw a couple of extra potatoes in
the pot."

He: "She's a miracle worker with food, I get a rack-of-lamb dinner in
exchange for the right kind of thirty-five cent bolt."

Then they had sex.

Buy some steaks and look for a single man with a tool kit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I am wondering if it was just a matter of shut-off valves in the
basement being turned off. Then the plumber just opened the valves and
messed around for hours to increase billing. The comment about the
diverter sounds right on to me.
Ed

Jazzy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Suggest you get a new plumber but here I go diverter valve probaly
stuck if 2 handle or 3 handle , pull diverter out if 3 handles present
with water shut off then turn water on slowley if it comes out from
diverter hole plug with thumb should come out shower head. If not your
head is probaly plugged soak in clr then try again. If you have 2
handle plug tub spout then see if comes out head same thing if doesn,t.
What brand of tap if you can tell me Ile know what we are dealing with.