Posted to alt.home.repair

Default need a good water filter

I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 05:11:09 GMT, "Julie"
wrote:

I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

You really need to see a shrink.

I mean that in the nicest way.

Really.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

I've installed this system and it is as pure water as you can get.
It even comes with a tool to measure the impurities.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUA-SAFE-MAXIMU...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to alt.home.repair

So you have proof of this , realy your problem is elsewhere, But an old
unchanged clogged cartrige can re release some contaminents, good
filters filter these things out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:

I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges.

No, it's not. You have a hysterical disorder that can usually be
remedies through therapy or drugs like Prozac. This is not meant to
insult you but to tell you the truth rather than endulge any delusions
you may possess or have been fed by disreputable health professionals,
such as medical doctors who practice "enironmental" medicine and who
sell expensive products and services to "protect" people who think they
have multiple chemical sensitivities.

I even am sensitive to the copper and other elements in certain vitamins etc.

It's unlikely you're so sensitive that normal amounts of those elements
found in typical environments would bother you.

It kills my stomach and gives me diahreah.

It's probably something else doing that, such as intake of uncooked
foods (even fruits and vegetables can cause diarreah), but you should
have your water tested by a lab that isn't affiliated with any company
that sells water treatment equipment. Kits for this are sold at
hardware stores and home centers, and they're either prepaid for a
simple lead check, or you have to pay anywhere from $20-500 extra for
more complete tests.

I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Carbon water filters contain silver to prevent growth of bacteria, and
without this silver you could be poisoned by germs. While it's
possible to receive excessive amounts of silver from these filters,
it's unlikely, and any excess will not be at such a high level to be
highly toxic. But you can reduce the concentration of silver greatly
by running the water for 30-60 seconds before filling your glass, so
consider filling a pitcher and keeping it in the refrigerator.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

A carbon filter will remove most organic chemicals, mercury, and some
lead, but if your water is also contaminated by excessive inorganics
(simple elements), a reverse osmosis filter is needed to remove them.

Good brands of filters include Ametek, Omni, and Sears Kenmore. Avoid
anything sold by comissioned salesmen.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

How is the GE Smar****er system as far as filters go?

http://products.geappliances.com/App...DER=N&FOOTER=N

wrote in message
oups.com...

Julie wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:
I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

Besides suggesting consideration of psychosomatic problems, if your
water is really contaminated enough to make it unfit for consumption
(e.g. abandoned mine runoff), you might consider bottled water.

Or, better yet, switching over to wine & beer. At least you'd enjoy
earning the symptoms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote:

How is the GE Smar****er system as far as filters go?

I don't know, but GE doesn't make it, just as they don't make their
water heaters. Generally, filters are fine unless they're sold by
people who come to your home or they have expensive or hard-to-find
replacement cartridges.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

You really need to see a shrink.

I mean that in the nicest way.

I suspect you are right, but wouldn't it be kinder to just not reply? If he
thinks he is sensitive to imperceptible traces, your suggestion isn't
helpful.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi Julie. I am not licensed to give psychiatric advice, but I can say that
reverse osmosis filtration systems are generally regarded as the most
effective at purifying water.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Buck Turgidson wrote:

Hi Julie. I am not licensed to give psychiatric advice, but I can say that
reverse osmosis filtration systems are generally regarded as the most
effective at purifying water.

Isn't one of the generals under your command, Jack D. Ripper, an expert
in water purity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Exactly.

Isn't one of the generals under your command, Jack D. Ripper, an expert
in water purity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

That's not it. The waste water carries away the minerals and bacteria
that make it past the carbon and spun polyester filters. ....

Yep, that's exactly it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Julie wrote:
I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

Well, not to go into all the various paths replies have taken, but a
lot of cartridge water filters include a bit of heavyish metal (more
typically silver than nickel because it's less toxic to people) because
it keeps bacteria down, which otherwise could be a problem growing
inside the filter between replacements. As a couple of guys have
mentioned, reverse osmosis doesn't have this problem and produces
exteremely pure water; the other option, of course, is a still (look in
laboratory supplies places) but that's not very adaptable to a faucet
type situation, and sometimes doesn't give you as much purity as a
filter does, depending on what's in the water in the first place.