Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

Default need a good water filter

Julie wrote:
I have been through a few water filters recently. My stomach is very
sensitive to the heavy metals that can be a by product of the filtration
system from the cartridges. I even am sensitive to the copper and other
elements in certain vitamins etc. It kills my stomach and gives me
diahreah.
I am experiencing same symptoms with this GE under sink filter now. I am
reading that they can give off extra nickel that can be bad for you.

Can anybody PLEASE give me advice on a filter that will do its best to NOT
leak the metals into the water that I will drink. I may go back to the
waterpik filter that you just attach to the faucet.

Thanks in advance

Jules

Well, not to go into all the various paths replies have taken, but a
lot of cartridge water filters include a bit of heavyish metal (more
typically silver than nickel because it's less toxic to people) because
it keeps bacteria down, which otherwise could be a problem growing
inside the filter between replacements. As a couple of guys have
mentioned, reverse osmosis doesn't have this problem and produces
exteremely pure water; the other option, of course, is a still (look in
laboratory supplies places) but that's not very adaptable to a faucet
type situation, and sometimes doesn't give you as much purity as a
filter does, depending on what's in the water in the first place.