Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete mounted 1/4" tube bearing.

Problem:

Using a 1/4-20 SS screw as a hinge pin for a plywood hurricane shutter,
what can I use beyond a 1/4" hole in a concrete block?

It needs to rotate 90* max.

Would a 1/4" lag shield provide a sturdy 'bearing' surface for a
machine screw?

Any other ideas for inserting a tube bearing into a concrete block?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Problem:

Using a 1/4-20 SS screw as a hinge pin for a plywood hurricane shutter,
what can I use beyond a 1/4" hole in a concrete block?

It needs to rotate 90* max.

Would a 1/4" lag shield provide a sturdy 'bearing' surface for a
machine screw?

Any other ideas for inserting a tube bearing into a concrete block?

I'm going to assume that the concrete block is a solid sill on the bottom
and a lintle on top.
If so and the hole is a couple inches back from the edge it should be OK.
You could also
drill a hole and drive in a lead anchor using that as a sleeve of sorts.
Or, you could do a
large lead anchor and sink a machine screw (hex head) into it, having
previously drilled a
hole (5/16") to fit the 1/4-20 SS screw that you mentioned. Of coures, this
wold take a
aizeable hole and may not leave you with sufficient concrete material. I'm
also supposing
that you plan to allow clearance in that you will feed in the top screw into
the sleeve and
they position and lower the bottom screw into its receptical. Should work.