Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Tell us your Renovation Story

Let's Work Together to Put an End to Renovation Rip Offs!

The current real estate market has created opportunities for the
unqualified and unscrupulous to take advantage of homeowners attempting
to upgrade their most important investment.

DO ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILIAR ......

Poor workmanship
Substandard materials
Fake references
Inflated prices
Code violations
Incomplete work
Ignored time lines
Huge pre-payments
Partial action
No action!

The police can't stop them
The courts can't stop them
The Better Business Bureau can't stop them

Together, we can put them out of business

Tell us your story....

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reno Rant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Let's Work Together to Put an End to Renovation Rip Offs!

Tell us your story....

You asked for this before but never answered my question. What happens to
the story? How will it be used? How much money will you make from OUR
stories?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reno Rant" wrote in news:1153858691.971009.217910
@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Let's Work Together to Put an End to Renovation Rip Offs!

The current real estate market has created opportunities for the
unqualified and unscrupulous to take advantage of homeowners attempting
to upgrade their most important investment.

DO ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILIAR ......

Poor workmanship
Substandard materials
Fake references
Inflated prices
Code violations
Incomplete work
Ignored time lines
Huge pre-payments
Partial action
No action!

Yes.

The police can't stop them
The courts can't stop them
The Better Business Bureau can't stop them

Together, we can put them out of business

OK

Tell us your story....

I buy HUD/VA wrecks. I restore them (not patch and hide). I sell them.
That's all you get for free.

For more details, I want $25 an hour for my time, all rights retained and
a percentage of what you market it for, tangible and intangible, until
the end of time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Have you ever noticed that all of these posts and TV shows "Holmes on Homes"
only listen to one side of the story? Has anyone every ask the contractor
why they did it that way or why they need the "Huge" downpayment? YES there
are some bad contractors but their are great ones that have been screwed by
"BAD" home owners... OR home owners that can only afford the "Quick fix"
what would you do as a contractor leave the roof leaking until they get the
money to fix it or do a quick patch and hope they have the money by
spring..... You want a story??? How about the multiple times I've been
called by "DIYs" that want me to quote a job explain the process and then
screw it up themselves, and then tell their neighbours how I suggested it be
done that way... or want me to come and fix it for cheap since they have
done 99% of the work....

"See it's drywalled and painted but the wall is leaning can you just fix it
quick I've already done 99% of the work....."

Want a bad contractor story? While on vacation my older, single neighbour
lady wanted to start construction on her kitchen, opening it up to the
livingroom. She lives in a huge 7000 sqf house, 20 years old. This involved
removing one (Non supporting) wall two outlets and a stove plug. The
contractor doing the work had already quoted the construction and said that
he would get his "friend" to do the electrical at extra cost. The quote for
the construction part was OKed after I went over it with her... The "friend"
of the contractor was going to start work on the electrical the next day,
BUT WHAT WAS HE CHARGING. I made the neighbour press him until she had a
quote in writting...... $17'500... He saw a little old lady with lots of
money.... Thats all I can say.....

"Reno Rant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Let's Work Together to Put an End to Renovation Rip Offs!

The current real estate market has created opportunities for the
unqualified and unscrupulous to take advantage of homeowners attempting
to upgrade their most important investment.

DO ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILIAR ......

Poor workmanship
Substandard materials
Fake references
Inflated prices
Code violations
Incomplete work
Ignored time lines
Huge pre-payments
Partial action
No action!

The police can't stop them
The courts can't stop them
The Better Business Bureau can't stop them

Together, we can put them out of business

Tell us your story....

Posted to alt.home.repair

We are a group of people with a history in the construction industry
who want to get to put an end to the rip off artists that cause so much
ill will throughout the industry. Many of the home renovation shows on
TV offer a skewed vision, placing themselves at the center as savior.

There must be a better way. We are hoping to collect these stories and
give people about to do renovations a heads up on what is required
(permits) what kind of cost they are looking at, how to pick a
LEGITIMATE contractor, and how to measure the standards of work.

We look forward to your guidance and comments

Reno Rant wrote:
Let's Work Together to Put an End to Renovation Rip Offs!

The current real estate market has created opportunities for the
unqualified and unscrupulous to take advantage of homeowners attempting
to upgrade their most important investment.

DO ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILIAR ......

Poor workmanship
Substandard materials
Fake references
Inflated prices
Code violations
Incomplete work
Ignored time lines
Huge pre-payments
Partial action
No action!

The police can't stop them
The courts can't stop them
The Better Business Bureau can't stop them

Together, we can put them out of business

Tell us your story....

Posted to alt.home.repair

You cant change anything, when was it any different, maybe 50000 yrs
ago, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks Rod,

Some outstanding perspective from the other side of the renovation
discussion. However, as you pointed out, there ARE scam artists taking
advantage of people with more dollars than sense.

We are aiming to identify them and put the word out that these guys are
one the prowl and not to be trusted.

We are hoping to build a consumer community to look out for one
another.

KBM @ renorant

HotRod wrote:
[...]

"Reno Rant" wrote in message
oups.com...
Let's Work Together to Put an End to Renovation Rip Offs!

The current real estate market has created opportunities for the
unqualified and unscrupulous to take advantage of homeowners attempting
to upgrade their most important investment.

DO ANY OF THESE SOUND FAMILIAR ......

Poor workmanship
Substandard materials
Fake references
Inflated prices
Code violations
Incomplete work
Ignored time lines
Huge pre-payments
Partial action
No action!

The police can't stop them
The courts can't stop them
The Better Business Bureau can't stop them

Together, we can put them out of business

Tell us your story....

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stop renovation rip offs

Thanks Al,

However, I don't think you've grasped the point we are trying to make.
The police have not interest in assisting, their references are false,
and small courts offer no protection. I have no doubt you are
reputable contractor, but you know many who are not.

We are a group of citezens who believe all of us together can get the
word out on these guys.

Any thing you could offer to help would be welcomed.

KBM @ renorant

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Well Reno, after you figure it out you can tackle world peace.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Citizen groups are the most effective way to combat renovation rip offs

Not so.
There is nothing more effective that Citizens looking out to ensure the
consumer market delivers what they promise, on time, on budget.

Together we can put these guys out of business

KBM @ Reno rant
m Ransley wrote:
You cant change anything, when was it any different, maybe 50000 yrs
ago, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Citizen groups are the most effective way to combat renovation...

All right so I gve you the name of a crook contractor with over 14
judgements against him that he wont pay, what are you going to do about
it now, absoutly nothing, you are all talk of something you cant
comprehend. Oh the BBB is worthless-toothless, they also ripped off the
public in 85? they took millions for their own phone book they never
published, you seem more ignorant then them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, Reno Rant
says...

Thanks Rod,

Some outstanding perspective from the other side of the renovation
discussion. However, as you pointed out, there ARE scam artists taking
advantage of people with more dollars than sense.

We are aiming to identify them and put the word out that these guys are
one the prowl and not to be trusted.

We are hoping to build a consumer community to look out for one
another.

So, are you going to investigate any of these? Or just smear folks with just
one side of these stories?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Reno Rant" wrote in
oups.com:

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Gotcha. Sorry for the misconception on my part. My bad as the youngin's
say.

I have no doubt you are reputable contractor,...

Well, I'm not really a contractor. I just do it for myself. I do all the
work in all fields except where impractical like something very
infrequently done that requires a bit more expensive equipment like HVAC
work.

I usually am up front on these NGs and state "I'm a professional Wanna-
be...and a damn good one":-)

but you know many who are not.

Since I do everything myself, the only one I know is the HVAC company.
Owner is a straight shooting honest ace. Check this out.

When I bought that place I was out of state. The realtor referred me to him
when I asked her to have the HVAC checked out before purchase. It was good
at the time. Some time later when I was at the house the heat heat pump
seemed weak. So I called the same place and they sent out a tech. He said I
needed a new coil. Turned out it was an oddball expensive one. Coil alone
cost as much as a typical one of that size parts & installed. This oddball
coil ended up being $800 parts and installed. ughhh!!!

So he replaces it. No change. No better, no worse. Owner comes out. In fact
he came out like 4x trying different things and never charged me. When it
was all straightened out, HE OFFERED to take out the new coil, put the old
one back in and refund me what was charged.

As far as the tech, I was told at a later time he was fired for screwing up
jobs but the straw he got fired for is he was taking his personal vehicle
to the gas station and filling it with the company card.

Not the story you were looking for but let the good guys have some NG time.

Al...
Posted to alt.home.repair

Banty,

You raise an very good point.
In the name of fairness, I think it is important to not only supply a
resource for people who have had issues with contractors, but also give
an opportunity for the builders to respond to unhappy customers.

This way, misunderstandings can be seperated from specific and clear
attempts to decieve...your thoughts?

KBM @ renorant

Banty wrote:
In article . com, Reno Rant
says...

Thanks Rod,

Some outstanding perspective from the other side of the renovation
discussion. However, as you pointed out, there ARE scam artists taking
advantage of people with more dollars than sense.

We are aiming to identify them and put the word out that these guys are
one the prowl and not to be trusted.

We are hoping to build a consumer community to look out for one
another.

So, are you going to investigate any of these? Or just smear folks with just
one side of these stories?

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good contractor stories are as valued as poor ones

"Reno Rant" wrote in
ups.com:

Al,

The information you have about good, consciences contractors is EVEN
MORE valuable to people researching their renovation as identifying
the poor contractors.

This sounds like the kind of person that does it right, and if it goes
wrong, stands behind his word.

I would really appreicate if you provided some information on them for
others in your area

KBM can be contacted at

Al Bundy wrote:
[...]

Nathan's HVAC, Fayetteville, NC.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And what do you plan to do exactly, lynch them? OK I will help. Or sit
there and be a homemoaner all day.

OT=: The Darkest Days ( long , old story but good read anyway ) Gunner Asch Metalworking 4 August 23rd 05 11:10 AM
eScrew OWNS YOU!!! [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 22nd 04 09:47 PM
eScrew Dave Jackson Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 01:54 AM
Funny story about metal [email protected] Metalworking 10 December 20th 04 05:26 PM
Funny story about repair [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 20th 04 03:35 AM