Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ice maker won't eject ice

I have ice maker used to crank ice like crazy. Then the water line
started leaking all over the floor in back of the fridge.
I put a new clamp on the line and it stopped leaking, but then wasn't
getting water to the ice maker. I used hair dryer to clear the water
line and now it gets water and freezes, but won't eject the ice.
I used hair dryer to heat the tray and it finally went around and
dumped the ice out.
Now the only way I can get the thing to dump ice is if I run the hair
dryer on the tray first.
Does this mean the heating coil is bad?
I just bought this ice maker last year to replace the origional that
stripped gears.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bluto" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have ice maker used to crank ice like crazy. Then the water line
started leaking all over the floor in back of the fridge.
I put a new clamp on the line and it stopped leaking, but then wasn't
getting water to the ice maker. I used hair dryer to clear the water
line and now it gets water and freezes, but won't eject the ice.
I used hair dryer to heat the tray and it finally went around and
dumped the ice out.
Now the only way I can get the thing to dump ice is if I run the hair
dryer on the tray first.
Does this mean the heating coil is bad?
I just bought this ice maker last year to replace the origional that
stripped gears.

The hairdrier solution may only have been temporary by allowing the water to
refreeze after you finished. Try to properly and fully defrost the freezer
then try again before panicking. If a full defrost is impractical, remove
the ice maker and let it dry out on the coutertop completely before
reinstalling it. At least try reinserting the connector in case a contact
is open.

If it were just the heater, it would attempt to dump (rotate tray) but the
ice would stay in or prevent complete rotation of the tray. If a switch
inside were frozen, it might just idle and not try and eject at all.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had the same problem with my fridge. It was a drainage problem with
the defrost unit not draining and freezing up which cause the water in
the ice maker to freeze. I traced it to a drain which flowed to an
outlet at the back upper part of the fridge which was blocked with
scum. I also had to remove the freeze liner and defrost the ice build
up. You could do it by letting the fridge stand open but would take a
couple of days. The liner removed pretty easy if you are the type to do
that.