Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cisterns

I m trying to find out about the care and feeding of a cistern. Its about 15
ft across and looks like it was suppose to be about 3 ft deep, guessing 2000
gal.. There is a 3 inch pipe flush with the bottom and I assume this was for
draining it and two other pipes ,one about a third of the way from the
bottom and the other about a third the way from the top. I figure one is the
gozinta pipe and the other is the gozouta pipe but dont know which is which.
I know it was built in 1974 and used for about 10 years before the owner
decided to try other ways to treat his well water. Water is fairly alkaline
ph8.5 has a lot of calcium iron and sulphurand sediment. I know the cistern
was used for aeration, chlorination and ph adjustment. Chemicals were added
to the cistern daily for this. The owner got tired of the daily regime and
started trying various filters, auto chlorinators and maybe RO but the water
was never as good as when he used the cistern. Any ifo on using the cistern
would be greatly appreciated.