Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop Pop is offline

Default Cisterns

In ,
Jimmie D typed:
"Pop" wrote in message
news:3ZPwg.11587$V41.7410@trndny08...
In news Jimmie D typed:
I m trying to find out about the care and feeding of a
cistern.
Its about 15 ft across and looks like it was suppose to be
about
3 ft deep, guessing 2000 gal.. There is a 3 inch pipe flush
with
the bottom and I assume this was for draining it and two
other
pipes ,one about a third of the way from the bottom and the
other
about a third the way from the top. I figure one is the
gozinta
pipe and the other is the gozouta pipe but dont know which
is
which. I know it was built in 1974 and used for about 10
years
before the owner decided to try other ways to treat his
well
water. Water is fairly alkaline ph8.5 has a lot of calcium
iron
and sulphurand sediment. I know the cistern was used for
aeration, chlorination and ph adjustment. Chemicals were
added to
the cistern daily for this. The owner got tired of the
daily
regime and started trying various filters, auto
chlorinators and
maybe RO but the water was never as good as when he used
the
cistern. Any ifo on using the cistern would be greatly
appreciated.

A reliable, "good" cistern is fairly expensive to run these
days.
You can't have the old open types that used to exist. Where
is it
getting its water from? JUST the well, or other place, too,
like
roof water? IMportant ot check.

I"d opt for a good water treatment system if it's that
important to
you. That would be either upgrading the cistern (not a big
business
anymore, IMO) or installing the right more modern equipment.

As I understand it, anyway - I'm no expert by any means.

Pop`

This cistern was fed by a well an will continue to be. The
biggest
purpose of having the cistern was to treat the water for sulfur
and
iron through aeration and remove sediment(blue mud). As I have
been
told the pump feeding the cistern only ran once a day about 1AM
giving solids a chance to settle out. I know every morning the
Ph and
Chlorine was checked and adjusted. This doesnt sound expensive
but a
bit aggravating. Im not very fond of relentless repetitive task
either. I am thinking of automatically adding chlorine on the
well
side of the cistern as I understand this helps in removing the
sulfur
and iron. The water is very hard, I dont have any numbers but
it is
almsot impossible to use it to wash your hair without
softening. Is
there a chemical I can add to the cistern to soften the water
or is
using a water softener my only option? The cistern is basically
a big
masonry tank with a roof over it . Space between the tank and
roof is
screened with copper screen. I guess that is why it is still in
good
shape. There are also two other cisterns(3500 gal each) on the
property. These are made of fiberglass and were feed by water
from
the workshop roof and used to water the garden. I m beginning
think these would be more useful if cleaned and disinfected and
fed
from the well.

I think the "cost" is in the maintenance of it. Are you SURE it
can meet potabilty requirements for code? Not having one now of
course, I don't know, but it sounds like a lot of chemicals and
equipment to keep a LOT of water controlled compared to the
demand system of a water softener and/or water treatment tank.
I could see using it for washing, etc., but not for drinking
and cooking. Any kind of opening is a good place for
varmint/critter collection of dead bodies et al, even if they're
just insects.
I think, rather than taking anything I or anyone else might
say here, I'd look for an expert in your area who not only knows
the systems but also knows what can and cannot be done with them.
I just can not get my head around that kind of water being clean
enough for drinking OR for today's washing machines. But that's
my opinion, not a fact, so ... g

Aside: I DO remember as a kid, hauling buckets of water from it
upstairs when the old well went dry one summer and a couple of
winters when power went out. And once it overflowed and ruined
our fancy new coal stokerg. Ahh, the memories of youth!

Pop`