Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Dishwasher water-level too low: possibilities? Solenoid/valve?

Wife says that it will wash things only on the bottom level --
not enough water (level too low) to make it into spray
at the top level.

And it worked just fine until about two weeks ago,
when it started acting this (bad) way -- washing only the
bottom-level dishes.

About the solenoid:

I put my ohm-meter across where the power goes
into it, and it was NOT shorted out; was maybe 2k ohms.

(power off, obviously)

That was a test suggested by a web site my wife found.

A question: if *any* water is coming into the dishwasher
when you turn it on, that means that the solenoid is OK?

Or, if the solenoid is kaput, then NO water would come
in, I'd guess. (Is that correct or not?)

(I didn't actually *test* the solenoid, ie didn't apply
a voltage to it to see if it made a click (or whatever)
noise, nor did I try to see opened and closed a stream
of water.)

What seems to be a "float" (upside-down cup attached
to a thin pole that extends down into a hole -- where
somehow that pole going up or down with the water level
controls the solenoid, shutting it off when the water
has gotten to the proper level) seems to be pretty
free to go up and down.

About the exit hose: for the first several years
of owning the machine, two of the three of us here
would put dishes, etc, in, DIRTY -- no rinsing, no
nuthing, straight off the table. (The more I
complained (with explanation), the more -- well,
you know the story, right?)

So, maybe some of that crud from a few years ago
ended up in that hose. Any easy wat to test it?

What else might be the problem?

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

On my dishwasher, there is a setting for China dishes, which makes the
water-level low in the dishwasher. Check to see if there are any
setting on yours that would make it act similiarly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:

[...]

Hi,

D/W make, model#?

I put my ohm-meter across where the power goes
into it, and it was NOT shorted out; was maybe 2k ohms

Fill valve can fail electrically or mechanically.

Or, if the solenoid is kaput, then NO water would come
in, I'd guess. (Is that correct or not?)

Yup, some may work once or twice and then fail open.

What seems to be a "float" (upside-down cup attached
to a thin pole that extends down into a hole -- where
somehow that pole going up or down with the water level
controls the solenoid, shutting it off when the water
has gotten to the proper level) seems to be pretty
free to go up and down.

The float normally doesn't control the fill level, it is there to
prevent over filling or flooding.

So, maybe some of that crud from a few years ago
ended up in that hose. Any easy wat to test it?

Take it off and flush it out.

water-level too low: possibilities?

Drain hose too low, drain solenoid stuck open and weeping out some
water, incomming water pressure is too low, fill valve not opening
fully, clogged fill valve screen, not enough fill time ( rare )....

Wife says that it will wash things only on the bottom level --
not enough water (level too low) to make it into spray
at the top level.

Or weak pump, clogged filter/spray arms on the pump, etc.

http://www.applianceaid.com/dish.html#filling

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
The float normally doesn't control the fill level, it is there to
prevent over filling or flooding.

I always thought the float was what determined the fill level. If the
float doesn't determine the fill level, then what does?

Also, to the OP, it seems you are assuming that because the top rack of
dishes doesn't get washed properly that it's a fill level problem.
But, I don't see it stated that you actually checked the fill level.
As I understand it, in most dishwashers the water should come up close
to, but not over the heating element. I would definitely make sure it
is a fill problem and not something else, before proceeding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On my KitchenAId, there is a screen filter at the point where the
water line goes into the solenoid. It used to get plugged up often and
do just what you are observing. If this is what you have, take the
solenoid loose (after turning off the water), find the screen, carefully
remove it and clean it out. --Phil

David Combs wrote:

[...]

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555