Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

I am not sure about the price difference, yet. But are Algae resistant
shingles worth the expense? Do they really work?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jul 2006 14:57:19 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

I am not sure about the price difference, yet. But are Algae resistant
shingles worth the expense? Do they really work?

Look at your neighbors' roofs carefully. If you see ugly streaks,
then select the algae-resistant shingles. There's a cost point where
I might pass up special singles--a hundred bucks sounds reasonable. I
used zinc strips on my roof (about $40) and that has worked well but
over the years I noticed some of the strips curled. Copper or
aluminum will work too.

Metal ions tend to keep mold and algae from growing. Notice the areas
downhill from metal tubes/pipes and flashing on rooftops where the
surface has remained clean from algae/mold growth.
Posted to alt.home.repair

keep areas clear of trees, shade allows algea mold to grow

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Jul 2006 20:36:43 -0700, "
wrote:

keep areas clear of trees, shade allows algea mold to grow

Yep...and watch your cooling costs go thru those shingles !

Seriously my shingles look terrible, as do most of my neighbors but
are nowhere near in need of replacement...And I am not about to
replace them for cosmetic reasons.

There is a Company that does clean shingles, using low prressure
"wash" before and after pictures are impressive...I have no idea
however if the stains will return in 24 hours 24 days 24 months on in
3 years....nor do I know the cost to have mine cleaned...

What I do know is that mine look like crap, and I'm not going to
replace them (YET)...

Bob G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Mine look like crap too especially when they are flapping in the breeze
or blowing down the street. But the thing I hate most about my roof is
cleaning the shingle-granules out of the gutters. I am replacing my
roof.