DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Are Algae resistant shingles worth it? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/169962-algae-resistant-shingles-worth.html)

higgledy July 21st 06 10:57 PM

Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

I am not sure about the price difference, yet. But are Algae resistant
shingles worth the expense? Do they really work?

higgledy July 22nd 06 01:41 AM

Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

Are your shingles asphalt or cedar?

I am referring to the asphalt type shingle. Maybe wood shingles are
treated with the same chemical? It is a copper chemical or granular, I
think.

wrote:
higgledy wrote:
I am not sure about the price difference, yet. But are Algae resistant
shingles worth the expense? Do they really work?

It would be about $300 more in my area to put the treated 3M shingles
on my roof vs. the non-treated shingles. The killing ingredient
supposedly lasts for 20 years.

Without the treated 3M's, I have to climb up on my roof and apply
moss/algae killer every three years or so. So maybe six times in 20
years.

Costs me about $20 each time I apply the killer and maybe 20 minutes to
do it. So $120 in material. Bill my time at a lowball $30.

So, $150 vs. $300. I think I'd go for the treated shingles. But
having said that I know my method works and all I know about the
treated shingles are the reports I have read and the roofers I have
talked to.

Phisherman July 22nd 06 04:03 AM

On 21 Jul 2006 14:57:19 -0700, "higgledy" wrote:

I am not sure about the price difference, yet. But are Algae resistant
shingles worth the expense? Do they really work?

Look at your neighbors' roofs carefully. If you see ugly streaks,
then select the algae-resistant shingles. There's a cost point where
I might pass up special singles--a hundred bucks sounds reasonable. I
used zinc strips on my roof (about $40) and that has worked well but
over the years I noticed some of the strips curled. Copper or
aluminum will work too.

Metal ions tend to keep mold and algae from growing. Notice the areas
downhill from metal tubes/pipes and flashing on rooftops where the
surface has remained clean from algae/mold growth.

[email protected] July 22nd 06 04:36 AM

Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

keep areas clear of trees, shade allows algea mold to grow

Bob G. July 22nd 06 01:39 PM

Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

On 21 Jul 2006 20:36:43 -0700, "
wrote:

keep areas clear of trees, shade allows algea mold to grow

Yep...and watch your cooling costs go thru those shingles !

Seriously my shingles look terrible, as do most of my neighbors but
are nowhere near in need of replacement...And I am not about to
replace them for cosmetic reasons.

There is a Company that does clean shingles, using low prressure
"wash" before and after pictures are impressive...I have no idea
however if the stains will return in 24 hours 24 days 24 months on in
3 years....nor do I know the cost to have mine cleaned...

What I do know is that mine look like crap, and I'm not going to
replace them (YET)...

Bob G.

higgledy July 22nd 06 08:22 PM

Are Algae resistant shingles worth it?

Mine look like crap too especially when they are flapping in the breeze
or blowing down the street. But the thing I hate most about my roof is
cleaning the shingle-granules out of the gutters. I am replacing my
roof.