Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wallpaper prep

We have some wooden shelves that were painted with latex, that we put
sticky plastic shelf paper over. Now we want to put wallpaper on it
instead. So we peeled off the sticky stuff, but the glue has remained
on the shelf. I used Goo Gone, but after 2 applications still tacky.

Can I just paint some wallpaper primer on? the local hardware store
doen't have any and the clerk said Alkyd primer is OK - should I make a
trip to a big box store instead? thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tippi wrote:
We have some wooden shelves that were painted with latex, that we put
sticky plastic shelf paper over. Now we want to put wallpaper on it
instead. So we peeled off the sticky stuff, but the glue has remained
on the shelf. I used Goo Gone, but after 2 applications still tacky.

Can I just paint some wallpaper primer on? the local hardware store
doen't have any and the clerk said Alkyd primer is OK - should I make a
trip to a big box store instead? thanks

Sure the Goo Gone didn't soften that latex and make it tacky?

I don't see any problem with using an oil-base primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was able to remove all the gunk with TSP, steel wool, and elbow
grease. Also I checked a wallpaper store and they have the SHIELDZ
primer, so I'm done.

Removing bad wallpaper vs. covering it up? [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 15th 06 02:11 PM
prep for wallpaper mo Home Repair 1 March 12th 06 11:10 PM
Wall prep after pulling down wallpaper... [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 23rd 05 05:07 PM
Removing Wallpaper and Repainting rvfulltime (was xenman) Home Repair 6 October 25th 05 12:58 AM
Wallpaper removal not going so well... Liz Home Ownership 8 May 17th 04 05:33 AM