Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Central Air Replacement in condo - questions?

Hello all, I'm a long time condo owner but a first timer for central
air questions.
My condo was built in the late 80's and has a Lennox hp18-261v10p
central air unit that
blows both hot and cold air. The unit still works fine but I would
like to start the process
on finding a replacement for it since it's getting old and I feel it's
probably not as efficient as a new unit. Is it possible to just replace
the unit that is located outside that has the air intake on it or is
that piece and the unit located inside my home directly connected and
has to match? Sorry for the very basic questions but I'm very new to
this. The duct work in my condo is in great shape so I think this would
be ok to keep.

I wanted a few opinions on where to go next with this before I bring
someone in to give me a quote.
Plus, can anyone give me a basic idea on costs to replace the outside
unit or is this question too general?

Thanks for reading this.

Doug D