Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this plaster-like HVAC tape???

My HVAC unit is up in the attic. It works fine - I just cleaned the
coils - but at each end, where the unit connects to the main intake and
output ducts, it's wrapped with this plastery-looking material. It
looks like strips of cloth that have been soaked in Plaster of Paris,
or maybe wheat paste. Some of it has cracked and is leaking air, so I
want to replace or add another layer to it. Can somebody tell me what
this stuff is? Hopefully it's something I can buy cheaply at Home
Depot.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Someone else here may know better than I, but that sounds exactly like
asbestos. It used to be widely used as fireproof insulation for
ductwork before it started killing people.

Leave the stuff alone unless you're absolutely sure that is NOT
asbestos.

And if it IS asbestos, don't repair it. Either leave it alone or
remove it properly (expensive).

wrote:
My HVAC unit is up in the attic. It works fine - I just cleaned the
coils - but at each end, where the unit connects to the main intake and
output ducts, it's wrapped with this plastery-looking material. It
looks like strips of cloth that have been soaked in Plaster of Paris,
or maybe wheat paste. Some of it has cracked and is leaking air, so I
want to replace or add another layer to it. Can somebody tell me what
this stuff is? Hopefully it's something I can buy cheaply at Home
Depot.

Thanks,
Ron M.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Can somebody tell me what this stuff is?

Sounds like mastic, which is just a thickened latex paint. Just gob over
it with some fresh material from the big box store. Also consider using
Mortite brand No Drip tape.
Posted to alt.home.repair

IF you want something similar go to an autoparts store and look at muffler
tape. There is a brand just as you describe , cloth tape with plaster of
paris, that you soak in water and wrap around the exhust pipe to seal leaks

ps.com...

Plaster Help Jim Lewis Home Repair 1 June 27th 06 01:48 AM
newbie repairing plaster in a 100 year old home [email protected] Home Repair 5 December 21st 05 11:59 PM
Panasonic NV-F65 thinks it has a tape inserted Mike Wilson Electronics Repair 7 October 26th 04 10:37 PM
Duct tape on HVAC ducts JaKe Home Repair 3 September 10th 04 02:01 AM
How to Adjust the Tape Path Alignment on Newer VCRs Jim Electronics Repair 24 March 15th 04 09:30 PM