Posted to alt.home.repair
Ray Ray is offline

Default Replacing ice maker unit ? ? ?

The ice-maker on my Amana refrigerator, about 5 years old, seems to be
malfunctioning -- basically, putting out water into the ice bin so that it
freezes and stops the worm from dispensing ice.

My question is, do I dare try to replace the ice-maker myself, or is that
something I should leave to the experts?

I don't have a service manual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ray wrote:

My question is, do I dare try to replace the ice-maker myself, or is that
something I should leave to the experts?

I don't have a service manual.

You don't need one, it should be pretty easy. Replaced mine for the
same reason about 6 months ago. Small wonder it wasn't working
right, when I watched the old one go through a cycle it was arcing
and sparking inside. Kept overfilling the tray.

You can order a new icemaker off the internet, or just get one at
a local appliance parts store. All you should need to identify the
correct part is the model number of your refrigerator.

Replacement is pretty much an in-and-out job. Should be 2 or 3
screws holding the icemaker to the wall of the freezer - remove
them. Pull the electrical connector and remove the icemaker.
Reverse the procedure to install the new one. You might have
to use the sensing arm from the old unit if they didn't give you
one with the replacement unit.

Google "icemaker replacement", you should find links to places
to order an icemaker, and sites with how-to pictures.

Hope this helps,
Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Ray" wrote in message
The ice-maker on my Amana refrigerator, about 5 years old, seems to be
malfunctioning -- basically, putting out water into the ice bin so that it
freezes and stops the worm from dispensing ice.

My question is, do I dare try to replace the ice-maker myself, or is that
something I should leave to the experts?

Not really very hard to do. Check out www.repairclinic.com and
www.applianceaid.com for instructions and you can order the part from them
or local. IIRC, it was about 30 minutes.

The new one did not start right away. It took a little while for the cycle
to get in sync and fill.

Posted to alt.home.repair

buy the kit that incluses the solenoid valve, if you dont need it now
you will someday, and its far cheaper to buy the complete unit

Posted to alt.home.repair

All you need to do is re-aim the filler tube. My Mother in law's did that
because the tube at the back was getting out of place and splashing water in
the tray when it filled.

--
Steve Barker