Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Small Spring comprestion ideas?

I had to put new door pins in my SUV "blazer" the other day and in doing so
needed to remove the spring that you see just below the door pins. Anyways
the spring is 3" long and very tough to compress, I've been able to compress
it in a vice but how to I compress it to put it back into the door jam? I've
tried

1) Compress the spring with vice and tie down with wire but I'm not able to
leave any part of the end open to do this since the spring starts to arch in
that direction if I do.

2) Tried to compress it with large pliers but then I can't get the pliers
and spring into the door jam?

IDEAS?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 15:31:18 -0400, "HotRod"
wrote:

I had to put new door pins in my SUV "blazer" the other day and in doing so
needed to remove the spring that you see just below the door pins. Anyways
the spring is 3" long and very tough to compress, I've been able to compress
it in a vice but how to I compress it to put it back into the door jam? I've
tried

1) Compress the spring with vice and tie down with wire but I'm not able to
leave any part of the end open to do this since the spring starts to arch in
that direction if I do.

2) Tried to compress it with large pliers but then I can't get the pliers
and spring into the door jam?

IDEAS?

Don't hurt yourself with a flying spring.

A fast search:

Light Truck Door Hinge Spring Tool

Prevent damage to yourself and your vehicle. Use the right tool to
remove and install the door hinge springs on late model G M vehicles.
Used with your 1/2" open end or socket to compress the spring. Made in
the USA.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p... keyword=31202

Oren