Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ceiling fan: what's the black wire with the white stripe?

I'd like to install a used ceiling fan but am puzzled by an "extra"
wire in the wires for hook-up to the house line. I know what to do with
the white, black and ground wires, but what, if anything, should I do
with the black wire that has a thin white stripe? The circuit into
which I plan to put the fan already has a wall switch for the lamp
that's currently suspended from the ceiling (I'll replace the lamp with
the fan). One builder-friend suggested that I simply hook up the
standard white, black and ground connections and operate the lights and
fan speeds with the existing chains. The fan seems to be your typical
fan: 4 blaces, 4 lights in a circle, 1 light at the bottom. Any
suggestions?

Lynn Willis
Indianapolis

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Wayne Whitney, Carl wrote:
So, the black wire with the white stripe is connected to the solid black wire?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...pe-129099-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 11:44:05 AM UTC-5, Carl wrote:
replying to Wayne Whitney, Carl wrote:
So, the black wire with the white stripe is connected to the solid black wire?
--

Tragically, Wayne was killed in a freak accident 10 years ago when he was decapitated by a malfunctioning ceiling fan. He was survived by 3 wives, 13 children and 654 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Fan Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 12, 2016 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
replying to Wayne Whitney, Carl wrote:
So, the black wire with the white stripe is connected to the solid black wire?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...pe-129099-.htm

It appears the black wire with white stripes is for the lights on
the fan, if it has any. What color wire you connect it to depends
on what color wire, if any, was run to support a light.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Aug 2016 10:09:19 -0700 (PDT)
Uncle Monster wrote:

and 654 gerbils. The gerbils really miss him. 8-(

So he was gay then?