Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] willisl@iupui.edu is offline

Default ceiling fan: what's the black wire with the white stripe?

On 2006-07-17, wrote:

I'd like to install a used ceiling fan but am puzzled by an "extra"
wire in the wires for hook-up to the house line. I know what to do
with the white, black and ground wires, but what, if anything,
should I do with the black wire that has a thin white stripe?
[. . .] The fan seems to be your typical fan: 4 blaces, 4 lights in
a circle, 1 light at the bottom.

The lights and fan are independently operable. So the black wire is
the fan hot, and the black with white stripe is the lighting hot. At
least, that is the way my Hunter fans are coded; it is possible that
some fans are the opposite.

Cheers, Wayne

Thanks. I take it, then, that I should connect both wires to the house
hot wire, all 3 under one wire nut, correct?

Lynn