Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fuse Electrical Panel Cover

Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

You're dreaming, for sure.

Better get out the tin snips and make one.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

Speedy Jim wrote:

wrote:
Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

You're dreaming, for sure.

Better get out the tin snips and make one.

Jim

A better idea would be to replace the panel with something more current.
Insurance companies are frequently charging more or not writing policies
at all for old panels like that. Not that there is anything wrong with
an old panel if properly maintained and not overloaded, but most are
overloaded these days since the original handful of circuits aren't
sufficient for today's expectations of appliances and A/C.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Your panel does not include a disconnect switch for it's load so it must be
located separately, probably just beside it. This is a plus, because it
makes changing over to another up-to-date panel sooooo easy. The cost will
be minimal and allow you many more circuits and a change from fuses to
breakers. Don't waste any more time looking for an unidentifiable cover,
spend your time looking for a nice new modern replacement.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

EXT wrote:
Your panel does not include a disconnect switch for it's load so it must be
located separately, probably just beside it. This is a plus, because it
makes changing over to another up-to-date panel sooooo easy. The cost will
be minimal and allow you many more circuits and a change from fuses to
breakers. Don't waste any more time looking for an unidentifiable cover,
spend your time looking for a nice new modern replacement.

Kinda' hard to tell from that pic, but if the left-land panel was
downstream of the service disconnect it would (should) have an
insulated neutral - I think that's the feed from the meter is entering
at the bottom, heading up to a cartridge fuse block which serves as
the service disconnect - at the top left, around ¾ of the way up, you
can see a double tap of red to black, the (smaller) black wire
appears to be exiting the panel the lower right, probably to the
partially visible panel to the right (let's hope there's a disconnect
means at the bus there - otherwise it's contnually energized).

I think the blown fuse, second from bottom on the right, is a nice
touch as well..

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
847-475-568

Posted to alt.home.repair

"disconnects"... when split buss.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
I wonder anybody knows where to find cover for an old fuse 100 amp
electrical panel box? It can be 40 something old, things work find but
the cover is missing.

Obviously, the best is to know the brand and model. But I was unable to
tell as there was no label or mark noticeable anywhere. The dimension
is 9 3/4 x 19 1/2 (inches). Here's a pictu
http://www.flickr.com/photos/icezee/191827167/

Please let me know if you recognized the brand/model, or ever better,
know where I can buy a cover for it.

Much appreciated!

John

As was mentioned by another poster, it's time to consider upgrading to
circuit breakers.

You will not be able to obtain a replacement from the factory even if the
company is still in business. I think that your best bet is to ask your
neighbors, since they may have, or had at one time the same fuse panel. If
one of them gets an upgrade ask for their old cover. You can search EBAY,
old junk yards, salvage yards, maybe even an old electrical supply house,
but without a brand name and model number it will be extremely difficult to
find a match.

Another option is to have one fabricated. You will need to make a detailed
drawing with specific locations and measurements of each necessary opening.
Though without an example to show the fabricators it may not be a perfect
fit. It will also cost more per unit to make just one than it would to make
10 or 20.

Your best option is to have a few electrical contractors come in and give
you some prices on a new circuit breaker panel and possibly a service
change.