Posted to alt.home.repair

Default too much gutter, nowhere to put downspouts

I have an "L" shaped ranch -- the long part ot the L is the house and
the short part is the garage. The entire inside of the L is filled
with driveway. There is one downspout at each end of the L and the
space between runs about 80 feet. In spite of 6 inch gutters, the
downspouts cannot handle heavy rain and the water comes gushing over
the top of the gutters near the downspouts in heavy rain.

Is it possible to put two downspouts next to each other? Is there any
kind of "supersized" downspout I could use instead?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I assume you have the standard 2x3 size downspouts? There are larger
3x4" or 4x5" (can't remember which) commercial size downspouts, but
you'd also have to make sure that the hole going from the gutter down
into the downspout is larger also, otherwise it would still bottleneck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

mariepierre wrote:
I have an "L" shaped ranch -- the long part ot the L is the house and
the short part is the garage. The entire inside of the L is filled
with driveway. There is one downspout at each end of the L and the
space between runs about 80 feet. In spite of 6 inch gutters, the
downspouts cannot handle heavy rain and the water comes gushing over
the top of the gutters near the downspouts in heavy rain.

Is it possible to put two downspouts next to each other? Is there any
kind of "supersized" downspout I could use instead?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I'd bet that your downspouts are clogged or they run into a clogged or
inadequate drainage system.

If your downspouts and drainage systems are working properly, they
should be able to easily take as much water as your garden hose can
throw at them all day long. Look into a open-end drainage system that
drains into a safe area far away from your foundation if you don't
have such a system already.

Downspout strainers would help keep debris out of the drainage sysytem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 13 Jul 2006 07:43:25 -0700, "mariepierre"
wrote:

I have an "L" shaped ranch -- the long part ot the L is the house and
the short part is the garage. The entire inside of the L is filled
with driveway. There is one downspout at each end of the L and the
space between runs about 80 feet. In spite of 6 inch gutters, the
downspouts cannot handle heavy rain and the water comes gushing over
the top of the gutters near the downspouts in heavy rain.

Is it possible to put two downspouts next to each other? Is there any
kind of "supersized" downspout I could use instead?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sure you can.

Or you can just increase the slope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm reading your post that the gutter is highes at the mid point of he run,
and slopes downward 40 feet in each direction to a downspout at each
extreme. High point may not be in the exact middle, but that is probably a
close enough estmate. It may be 60 feet for the hudse and 20 feet for the
garage, with the high point at the apex of the "L".

I had a "Z" shape gutter run with one downspout at one end, with a 60 foot
run. The little middle leg connecting the It was a disaster regarding
runoff.

I had to first "Roto Rooter" out the pipe to the dry well, then replaced the
gutter entirely with two separate runs, and add d three downspouts. Also
had to pipe runoff from
downspouts to a second drywell. It wasn't cheap and was a pain to do, but
livimg here in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon, Willamette Valley) we get a
lot of rain concntrated from late October through April.

Now have two straight sections, with a downsout at each nd of each section,
all piped to dry wells.

I am the third owner of this house, lived here since 1980. House built in
1968.

I'd really like to gett my hands on the original builder an architect. I
have two separate nooses with their names on them.
--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"mariepierre" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have an "L" shaped ranch -- the long part ot the L is the house and
the short part is the garage. The entire inside of the L is filled
with driveway. There is one downspout at each end of the L and the
space between runs about 80 feet. In spite of 6 inch gutters, the
downspouts cannot handle heavy rain and the water comes gushing over
the top of the gutters near the downspouts in heavy rain.

Is it possible to put two downspouts next to each other? Is there any
kind of "supersized" downspout I could use instead?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Here's an article that can help you calculate an optimal drainage
setup for your gutter:

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00046.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Good site. Nice data.

I got lucky with my project, gut instinct got me a result a little more
efficient than that obtained by using the formulas.