Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water well treatment question

We just moved into a home in the country that has a water well. The
water has enough sulphur in it to be offensive. The well man
installed a chlorination system that eliminates most(but not all of
the smell). I have heard that aeriation is the best method of
eliminating the smell. It is much more costly($1000+ because it
requires the installation of a separate tank).

I am wondering if it is possible to simply use the well as the
aeriation tank and install an air pump that will discharge air close
to the bottom of the well(but above the water pump). Wouldn't the
air bubble to the top of the water column(in my case about 400 ft.)
and remove most of the smell?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

According to :
I am wondering if it is possible to simply use the well as the
aeriation tank and install an air pump that will discharge air close
to the bottom of the well(but above the water pump). Wouldn't the
air bubble to the top of the water column(in my case about 400 ft.)
and remove most of the smell?

I was under the impression that aeration tanks actually spray
the liquid in the air, and remove the sulfur that way. Bubbling
air would work, but be a lot slower I think.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
Posted to alt.home.repair

Chris Lewis wrote:
According to :

I am wondering if it is possible to simply use the well as the
aeriation tank and install an air pump that will discharge air close
to the bottom of the well(but above the water pump). Wouldn't the
air bubble to the top of the water column(in my case about 400 ft.)
and remove most of the smell?

I was under the impression that aeration tanks actually spray
the liquid in the air, and remove the sulfur that way. Bubbling
air would work, but be a lot slower I think.

Folks around here have this problem.

The cheapest solution for many of them is to have a vented tank that all
water from the well goes into. The tank is large enough and the inlet,
outlets are positioned such that water stays in the tank for several
days before being drawn into the house with a second pump. This gives
time for the sulfur to bubble out, dramatically improving the taste
without the added expense of a fountain pump and the elevated
evaporation losses.