Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC question

One of the rooms in my house has trouble getting cool in the summer and warm
in the winter.

Someone told me recently to check the return air and make sure it is working
OK.

I did some checking. It turns out that even though a return air vent is
present in the room, it goes nowhere in the attic. I'm pretty sure that a
board (2x4?) covers the opening in the attic. Some years ago, I remember
drilling a hole in the board to feed a computer cable through the room
return air vent which is located near the bottom of the room wall.

The house is about 2200 sq ft, located in northern Texas. It has central
air conditioning. The air duct feeding air functions well.

Would the absence of a return air affect the temperature of the room?

Thanks for any replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

stevie wrote:
One of the rooms in my house has trouble getting cool in the summer and warm
in the winter.

Someone told me recently to check the return air and make sure it is working
OK.

I did some checking. It turns out that even though a return air vent is
present in the room, it goes nowhere in the attic. I'm pretty sure that a
board (2x4?) covers the opening in the attic. Some years ago, I remember
drilling a hole in the board to feed a computer cable through the room
return air vent which is located near the bottom of the room wall.

The house is about 2200 sq ft, located in northern Texas. It has central
air conditioning. The air duct feeding air functions well.

Would the absence of a return air affect the temperature of the room?

Yes, having a return improves the air flow. It's basicly blowing and
sucking from the area as opposed to just blowing.

It's a good idea to check out all the ducting in any house you buy to
make sure it's all going someplace. It's not unusual to find something
like this, or worse.

Since the return duct goes somewhere, is it possible to connect it into
the return system? If so and it can be done easily, I would do it, as
it can only help.

Thanks for any replies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Assuming the door is open I doubt it would make much difference in the
summer. Sucking air from the room would draw air mostly from the hallway
and not the incoming duct. Main problem is incoming duct is too small or
blocked.

"stevie" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

To help mix the warmer air in the winter between upper and lower stories.

wrote in message
ups.com...

Jeff wrote:
Assuming the door is open I doubt it would make much difference in the
summer. Sucking air from the room would draw air mostly from the hallway
and not the incoming duct. Main problem is incoming duct is too small or
blocked.

If having returns isn't important for cooling, why bother having them
upstairs at all?

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM