Posted to alt.home.repair

Default microwave repair

My microwave died and I found a shorted capacitor. Replacing the 0.9 uf
2300 vac capacitor (+/- 3%) with a 1.0 uf 2100 vac capacitor got the oven
working again with no noticeable difference from before. Can someone tell
me what changing from 0.9 to 1 uf will do to this circuit? Better yet, tell
me what the capacitor is doing? Its connected to the transformer on one
side and to a diode anode on the other. The magnetron connects to the diode
anode also. The diode cathode goes to gnd. Is this some sort of voltage
doubler? Looks to me like its a short circuit to ground for all the
positive half cycles out of the transformer, so an explanation would be
nice. Also the capacitor is +/- 3% which I've never seen before, being more
familiar with +/- 10% or even +/- 20%. Why so tight on the tolerance?

Posted to alt.home.repair

It's a half-wave voltage doubler circuit.

The value you installed shouldn't present a problem, even though it is
outside the original spec. The Voltage rating IS critical, as you probably
have guessed.

I hope you shorted that cap with a very well insulated screwdriver before
you pulled it.....