Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can I get double switch from the 40's?

Can I get double toggle switch from the 40's? The kind that fits in a
single gang box, but has two switches, each that toggle from side to
side, instead of up and down. They sell new ones of course, but the
dimentsions are different. The holes required in the wall plate are
now the same size as for receptacles. In the 1940's, they were about
2/3rds that size. Small enough that in the hall, they had 3 toggles
in a single gang box, one toggle above the other.

If you don't know where to get them, do you know the proper word to
search on: classic, antique, some name I don't know?

While I was getting to know my new motorcycle at its old location, an
old man approached a man working on the house, but he didn't speak
English, or he was smart enough to say that he didn't. The guy asked
if anyone did and he pointed to me.

The guy wanted to hire someone to replace the one piece, double toggle
in his bathroom. You know, takes up the space of one toggle, but has
two that move sideways.

He already had the switch, but after I did it, I saw that the cover
plate has two little holes that fit the toggles on the old switch, but
were too small for the new switch (which needed holes like an
electical outlet has). And it has two screw holes, top and bottom,
instead of one in the center. And it's been covered in wallpaper to
match the bathroom, which maybe I can move to a new wall plate.

It turns out I know friends of theirs and I want to do a really good
job.

Is it still possible to get the old style toggle.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

Maybe try..........restoration..........salvage..I saw it on PBS this
old house.
The place was 4 or 5 stories had tons of old doors, bathtubs, flooring,
mouldings, window shash, electrical componets, sinks
mm wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Yes, the type of switches you are looking for are called "Despard" you use a
metal bracket that has three rectangles in it and snap in single pole or
three way switches or pilot lights, in each space

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , mm wrote:
Can I get double toggle switch from the 40's? The kind that fits in a
single gang box, but has two switches, each that toggle from side to
side, instead of up and down. They sell new ones of course, but the
dimentsions are different. The holes required in the wall plate are
now the same size as for receptacles. In the 1940's, they were about
2/3rds that size. Small enough that in the hall, they had 3 toggles
in a single gang box, one toggle above the other.

They're called Despard switches, and they are still made. You probably won't
find them at Lowe's or Home Depot (but Menards is a possibility). Any decent
electrical supply house should have them, or be able to order them. And of
course Google is your friend.

--
Regards,