Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Can I get double switch from the 40's?

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:49:30 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , mm wrote:
Can I get double toggle switch from the 40's? The kind that fits in a
single gang box, but has two switches, each that toggle from side to
side, instead of up and down. They sell new ones of course, but the
dimentsions are different. The holes required in the wall plate are
now the same size as for receptacles. In the 1940's, they were about
2/3rds that size. Small enough that in the hall, they had 3 toggles
in a single gang box, one toggle above the other.

They're called Despard switches, and they are still made. You probably won't
find them at Lowe's or Home Depot (but Menards is a possibility). Any decent
electrical supply house should have them, or be able to order them. And of
course Google is your friend.

Thanks to all of especially Doug and RBM who knew about "Despard".
I'm sure I'll be able to find them.