Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why the step?

Hi,

What you are seeing here http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/step.jpg is the
entrance into my hose from my porch. What you see is a concrete step,
then a wooden threshold about 2" high, and then the hardwood floor is
the same level as the top of the concrete step.

What is the purpose of the threshold?

(My initial idea was for water protection, but then I realized that the
porch is several feet above the ground and the concrete step is almost
a foot tall, so that can't be it. Could it be that the door was the
wrong height when it was originally bought?)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair
sky sky is offline

I would assume that your house floor is resting on a poured concrete
floor, and the threshold is part of the 'French door' frame.
Can you check from the basement?

It does look like your entrance has 'double doors'.......nice
piano........Sky
wrote:
Hi,

What you are seeing here
http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/step.jpg is the
entrance into my hose from my porch. What you see is a concrete step,
then a wooden threshold about 2" high, and then the hardwood floor is
the same level as the top of the concrete step.

What is the purpose of the threshold?

(My initial idea was for water protection, but then I realized that the
porch is several feet above the ground and the concrete step is almost
a foot tall, so that can't be it. Could it be that the door was the
wrong height when it was originally bought?)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

"m Ransley" wrote in message
So the door can make a tight seal, it will also help in a big rain,
without it how would you get the bottom of the door to seal tight, or
keep out mice and bugs. But the original description is an old English
term, Thresh or grass was put on floors over dirt, and it kept the
grass-thresh inside.

It also adds the 4th side to the pre-built ( pre-hung) box that frames the
door. Without it the door frame would not hold the proper shape during
transport and installation. The more expensive ones are also adjustable to
compensate for minor variations encountered during installation or years
later.
It also raise the door so that carpet or wood flooring may be installed
after the door unit with no trimming required.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No No is offline

wrote:
Hi,

What you are seeing here
http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/step.jpg is the
entrance into my hose from my porch. What you see is a concrete step,
then a wooden threshold about 2" high, and then the hardwood floor is
the same level as the top of the concrete step.

What is the purpose of the threshold?

(My initial idea was for water protection, but then I realized that the
porch is several feet above the ground and the concrete step is almost
a foot tall, so that can't be it. Could it be that the door was the
wrong height when it was originally bought?)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Its to keep out rain and seal the door from drafts and air. Do not
remove it. It looks nicely built.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi,

What you are seeing here http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/step.jpg is the
entrance into my hose from my porch. What you see is a concrete step,
then a wooden threshold about 2" high, and then the hardwood floor is
the same level as the top of the concrete step.

What is the purpose of the threshold?

(My initial idea was for water protection, but then I realized that the
porch is several feet above the ground and the concrete step is almost
a foot tall, so that can't be it. Could it be that the door was the
wrong height when it was originally bought?)

Try heating/cooling your home without that seal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hi,

Thank you for all the answers.
These are part of double doors.
Thanks for the piano compliment (1893 Lester)

Protection from rain/grass and tightness was kind of my guess.

But the grass and rain are not a concern because the doors lead to a
porch which is three feet off the ground and is enclosed.

As far as tightness. The reason why my question came up in the first
place is that I'm planning on replacing the doors. I was thinking
making the threshold not as high. It is currently 2" and I don't see
why 1/2" wouldn't suffice.

Thanks again!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Everyone else is right. But 2'' is also a bit excessive, and is
probably due to the nature of your foundation and a remarkably thick
door frame threshold -- if the floor is resting directly on a concrete
slab, and is say only 1" thick, then the bottom piece of the door frame
would have to sit above the slab (and so must be about 3" or more
thick, which seems like a lot). More likely, the door is sitting on top
of the same subfloor that the wood floor is sitting on, giving you only
about 1/2" pocket to set the treshold in -- which is normally plenty.

Our doors have a threshold about 1" high at most, even our sliding
doors.

wrote:
Hi,

What you are seeing here
http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/step.jpg is the
entrance into my hose from my porch. What you see is a concrete step,
then a wooden threshold about 2" high, and then the hardwood floor is
the same level as the top of the concrete step.

What is the purpose of the threshold?

(My initial idea was for water protection, but then I realized that the
porch is several feet above the ground and the concrete step is almost
a foot tall, so that can't be it. Could it be that the door was the
wrong height when it was originally bought?)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

"But the grass and rain are not a concern because the doors lead to a
porch which is three feet off the ground and is enclosed. "

That might not have always been the case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I think it is to trip old people - and young people carrying a load
of groceries.

I'd lower it to 3/4 inch max.

On 5 Jul 2006 23:35:17 -0700, wrote:

Hi,

What you are seeing here
http://i.math.drexel.edu/~pg/step.jpg is the
entrance into my hose from my porch. What you see is a concrete step,
then a wooden threshold about 2" high, and then the hardwood floor is
the same level as the top of the concrete step.

What is the purpose of the threshold?

(My initial idea was for water protection, but then I realized that the
porch is several feet above the ground and the concrete step is almost
a foot tall, so that can't be it. Could it be that the door was the
wrong height when it was originally bought?)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude

Posted to alt.home.repair

"JimL" wrote in message
news

I think it is to trip old people - and young people carrying a load
of groceries.

I'd lower it to 3/4 inch max.

How would you do that? You'd then have a gap at the bottom of the door to
be filled. Sounds like a lot of extra work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"JimL" wrote in message
news

I think it is to trip old people - and young people carrying a load
of groceries.

I'd lower it to 3/4 inch max.

How would you do that? You'd then have a gap at the bottom of the door to
be filled. Sounds like a lot of extra work.

Well, I'm actually replacing the doors so I'm free to decide how high
the threshold is.

Garbage disposal stuck tenplay Home Repair 16 August 13th 18 03:47 PM
Adding Brick Step [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 10th 06 03:20 AM
MOREMONEY [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 8th 05 04:13 AM
more money David Home Repair 0 December 7th 05 07:38 PM
OT- just couldn't stay away wallster Metalworking 21 December 26th 04 06:57 AM