Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Washing Machine Pumping Question

I already posted about my leaking washing machine.
If I need a new one, I have an additional question:
The drain pipe to which the machine connects ias about 4 feeet
*above* the top of the washer. I have been told that some new washers
will not pump drain water this high.
Is this true? If so, which ones will?

Posted to alt.home.repair

George wrote:

The drain pipe to which the machine connects ias about 4 feeet
*above* the top of the washer. I have been told that some new washers
will not pump drain water this high.
Is this true? If so, which ones will?

Hi,

Is this true? If so, which ones will?

Yes.
None. Might see if they have an high volume pump kit that can be added
to what ever washer you look at....*some* where available a few years
ago.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some mfg information that comes with the machine is too generous, and
some is not generous enough. In the case of your drain pipe, it would
fall in the latter category. I think you could probably get away with
4' above the washer. The problem may be not that the pump can't pump
the water (I think it will), but that the water that remains in the
drain hose may flow back toward the machine when the pump stops. If a
large amount of water were to do this, the clothes at the bottom of the
basket would get wet again. But, I bet that it shouldn't be a concern
with just 4' of extra height.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
Some mfg information that comes with the machine is too generous, and
some is not generous enough. In the case of your drain pipe, it would
fall in the latter category. I think you could probably get away with
4' above the washer. The problem may be not that the pump can't pump
the water (I think it will), but that the water that remains in the
drain hose may flow back toward the machine when the pump stops. If a
large amount of water were to do this, the clothes at the bottom of the
basket would get wet again. But, I bet that it shouldn't be a concern
with just 4' of extra height.

Having sold these machines for over 25 years, the only one that I know of
that couldn't handle the 4', might be the newer Maytag Neptune front
loaders. They offer an optional booster pump if pumping too high. But like
you said, that 4' of water in the hose will run back down into the machine
and of course if not connected correctly to the waste pipe, likely draw some
water from the sewer with it. In some areas it is common practice to pump
up to the top of the basement wall and out through the wall onto the ground.
That would be about 4' above the machine.

Tom G.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Just to add to your post, "sucking sewer water" happens only if there
is no air gap to break a siphon. So, just make sure the drain hose
sits in the pipe freely, with air that can get in.

kmskuba sedatkzyk UK diy 0 March 28th 06 02:28 PM
Hitachi SAF-2000PX washing machine not pumping... [email protected] Home Repair 0 March 16th 06 02:47 PM
Non-return valve attached to dishwasher and washing machine combo & blockage..? Don1815 UK diy 1 August 23rd 05 09:50 PM
GE Washing Machine Drum Removal Question Eugene Home Repair 7 November 1st 04 11:47 AM
Hoover Performa washing machine question D.M. Procida UK diy 4 November 1st 03 09:26 PM