Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC Question

Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gigi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

The heat that's supposed to be pumped out to the outside will be pumped
right back into the room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

jerryl wrote:
"gigi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

The heat that's supposed to be pumped out to the outside will be pumped
right back into the room.

And, the substantial amount of electricity used by the AC is all turned
into heat above and beyond the heat that is being pumped from one spot
in the room (in front of the AC) to another spot (behind the AC),
meaning the room will not only not cool off, but it will actually heat
up as much as if you were running small electric heater.

-Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

"gigi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

The AC takes the heat from the room and puts it outside. If you don't put
the unit in a window, it will just recirculate the heat plus add the heat
from the motors in it making things worse. It MUST be through a window or
wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin West" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was actually rather suprised, a local hardware store had a a/c unit
on display *in* the store. The unit actually produced a substantial
amount of cool air comming out of the front of the unit.

That being said, it is not very efficient as you mention below, and I
would like to include there needs to be a place for the water to go.

If the unit is working , it will put out cool air where it is suspose to,
but it will also put out hot air out the back. The net effect is a small
ammount of heat gain due to the motors running. Running the AC inside is
the same thing as dehumidifier, just probably not as good.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Justin West" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was actually rather suprised, a local hardware store had a a/c unit
on display *in* the store. The unit actually produced a substantial
amount of cool air comming out of the front of the unit.

Sure, and the fans on display were blowing cool air also. At home they just
seem to blow hot air.

did you step around the back of that AC unit?

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 3 Jul 2006 16:11:52 -0700, "gigi" wrote:

Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

Few posts addressed your humitidy question. I'm pretty sure it will
cause humidity to condense on the cold end of the AC, which will drain
to the lowest corner of the AC and dribble out.

Unless you have a water sling ring and then the water will be splashed
against the condensor fins, where it will evaporate again.

I would ask what model AC you have, to determine the question in the
previous paragraph, but yours is such a bad idea, it's not worth it.

The extra heat you generate will be more enough to make you less
comfortable, even if you lose some humitidy. The fan makes some heat,
and the compressor makes a lot more, whatever the ID plate says that
it uses in watts is how much heat you'll be making, in watts, when the
compressor is running, in addition to what is already there.

They make dehumidifiers that are something like ACs, but they design
it for this situtaion.

If you decide to put it in a window, post back with details of the
window and how high you are. I would advise building a strong shelf
outside the window, to rest the AC on, so that merely opening the
window doesn't cause the AC to fall out. If you have wooden
windowsills, I would STRONGLY advice using nails some of which are
driven in at one angle, and others are driven in leaning at a simlar
agnel but in the OPPOSITE direction. If all nails are parallel they
can all come out at once, by the weight of the AC. Plonk, down it and
the AC goes. Maybe someone is underneath it.

When I did this, I left the nail heads sticking out a quarter inch,
so that I would be able to remove the nails when I wanted to remove
the shelf. Nails sticking out like this might be a hazard, but I was
the only person who ever opened these two windows. (One just had a
planter, and then a charcoal grill. The other had the AC.) It occurs
to me now that I moved out in the middle of May, after 10 years, and I
forgot to hammer in the nails or take them out. Oh well. They were
just big finishing nails. Not that dangerous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3 Jul 2006 16:11:52 -0700, "gigi" wrote:

Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

I've noticed that my local Walmart and Lowes and Home Depot all sell
portable AC units. They come with a tube that you stick out the
window.

They also cost more than double that of a window unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, you can run an AC without a window. However, the effect is the
same as running about a 700 watt space heater. Cause all the heat from
the room goes back into the room. Plus the couple hundred watts of
power that ran the motor on the compressor.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"gigi" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

Posted to alt.home.repair

JimL wrote:
On 3 Jul 2006 16:11:52 -0700, "gigi" wrote:

Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

I've noticed that my local Walmart and Lowes and Home Depot all sell
portable AC units. They come with a tube that you stick out the
window.

They also cost more than double that of a window unit.

Yes, a friend told me to watch during the winter to buy one. Walmart
has the largest number of brands. They are cheaper in the winter, of
course.

Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

JimL wrote:
On 3 Jul 2006 16:11:52 -0700, "gigi" wrote:

Is it possible to run a window AC inside of the house (not in the
window)? What will happen if it is done? Do you need to keep a window
open to stop the humidity?

I've noticed that my local Walmart and Lowes and Home Depot all sell
portable AC units. They come with a tube that you stick out the
window.

They also cost more than double that of a window unit.

Consumer Reports did a mini-report on them recently. They work, but
they cool in reality at much less than their rated capacity. They
suggested what seems logical, that you seek for one that has two hoses
that take in outside air to cool the condensor rather than using inside
air that you already cooled. I didn't even know they made that kind.

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM