Posted to alt.home.repair
Jimmie D

Default Moen replacement parts

32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I still
get replacement parts for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jimmie D wrote:
32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I still
get replacement parts for them.

Most likely...the guts tend to have remained the same. Depends, of
course, on what is actually leaking and why..

As for the advice about replacing it just because it's old, disregard
that. Have a houseful of single-handle faucets that are at least that
old and they're all just fine. A new cartridge and/or the o-rings and
replacable seats takes care of the problem.

If there is some lime buildup making them somewhat difficult for
initially dissassembling them, then some hot vinegar to help dissolve
the scale will do wonders.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jimmie D" wrote:

32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I still
get replacement parts for them.

Hell- I couldn't get replacement parts for my *3* year old Moen
kitchen faucet. They did offer me a new faucet-- but no longer make
one with the features that I bought this one for. [single lever,
pullout with filter]

I can't find another by someone else, but I damn sure won't throw any
more money at Moen. This faucet was crap- the little rubber cover
that covers the filter on/off wore out in 2 years. Now the soft
plastic fitting that holds the base of the faucet together is worn
out.

Won't hurt to call them, though- www.moen.com .

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Jimmie D" wrote:

32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I still
get replacement parts for them.

Hell- I couldn't get replacement parts for my *3* year old Moen
kitchen faucet. ...

... won't throw any more money at Moen. ...

I have to say none of the ones I have are Moen so my experience may not
hold for OP, either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:

I suspect so, but at 32 years, it is much better to simply replace it.
New faucets in the $100 range, and time to replace, assuming you don't
have to solder something, or there isn't a lot of corrosion, about 1
hour of your time. I suspect that by this time, unless you are
exceptionally lucky, that it would be badly corroded, and a PITA to
take apart. Repair by replacing parts is really not an option.

What part of "shower control" did you have trouble with?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmie D wrote:

32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I
still get replacement parts for them.

Did you try looking on the Moen web site?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jimmie D wrote:
32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I still
get replacement parts for them.

Probably. Call them up and they will probably have
a part(s) to you in 5 working days.
Posted to alt.home.repair

professorpaul wrote:
I suspect so, but at 32 years, it is much better to simply replace it.
New faucets in the $100 range, and time to replace, assuming you don't
have to solder something, or there isn't a lot of corrosion, about 1
hour of your time. I suspect that by this time, unless you are
exceptionally lucky, that it would be badly corroded, and a PITA to
take apart. Repair by replacing parts is really not an option.

Mine are 30 years old and still work good. If the
OP's work ok but just leak at the stem, then the
problem is the cartridge seal so, he needs a new
cartridge. No reason to replace the whole thing
unless it is corroded.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"Jimmie D" wrote:

32, at least, year old Moen single handle shower controls leak. Can I still
get replacement parts for them.

Hell- I couldn't get replacement parts for my *3* year old Moen
kitchen faucet. They did offer me a new faucet-- but no longer make
one with the features that I bought this one for. [single lever,
pullout with filter]

I can't find another by someone else, but I damn sure won't throw any
more money at Moen. This faucet was crap- the little rubber cover
that covers the filter on/off wore out in 2 years. Now the soft
plastic fitting that holds the base of the faucet together is worn
out.

Won't hurt to call them, though- www.moen.com .

Jim

They probably don't have that faucet because it
was crappy. Offering to send you a new one of a
different model seems like a good deal to me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

At that age, it probably lacks scaldguard. I have a newer Moen with
scaldguard and temperature control, where I can just dial in my favorite
temperature and it adjusts the hot/cold mixture to stay there even when
the hot water starts to run low.

I would bite the bullet and replace that old one with a newer, safer,
more useful model.