Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Woftener Basics

My family and I moved from WA to TX about a year ago. The house we
bought has a water softener installed, but we've never used one. It is
a Kenmore High Capacity Water Softener 70 Salt Saver, Model #
625.3487004. I tried going through Sears to get an Owner's manual but
they are no longer available. Can anyone provide the basics on how to
operate it, what problems to watch for, etc???
TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jo Ann

Default Water Softener Basics

Another approach is to contact a local "water guy" to come out once and
show you how to use it. That's what I did. I had him deliver the salt
to fill it and happily paid the extra cost for the salt (as compared to
buying it somewhere and hauling it home myself) to get the included
lesson on how to set my softener, how much salt to put in, and so
forth.

Jo Ann

Robert Gammon wrote:
wrote:
Oops - typo. I meant Water Softener.

wrote:

My family and I moved from WA to TX about a year ago. The house we
bought has a water softener installed, but we've never used one. It is
a Kenmore High Capacity Water Softener 70 Salt Saver, Model #
625.3487004. I tried going through Sears to get an Owner's manual but
they are no longer available. Can anyone provide the basics on how to
operate it, what problems to watch for, etc???
TIA.

Keep the Salt tank only moderately full, that is DO NOT FILL IT WITH
WATER SOFTENER SALT. Bridges can develop creating a VOID underneath the
top layer of dry salt. In other words, do not fill the salt tank above
the water line.

If you have the same number of people in the household as the previous
tenants, you should notl need to make any adjustments to the unit.

Having said that, water softener control heads are not in the field of
rapidly changing technology. Take the cover off of yours and inspect it
carefully, take pictures too. Go to a large Sears store that sells
Water Softeners, and compare those water softener control heads to see
if you find a match. If you do find a control head that matches your
pictures (and I think that you have a good shot at finding one), then
get the manual for THAT unit.