Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Default Can anyone tell me a brand name?

I'm looking for a brand of varuthane (sp) that doesn't turn yellow after
application and stays clear. I haven't had any luck in finding it so
far.

TIA

--
Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Cheri wrote:
I'm looking for a brand of varuthane (sp) that doesn't turn yellow after
application and stays clear. I haven't had any luck in finding it so
far.

Varathane _is_ a brand name -- a RustOleum product, specifically.

Not sure what you're really asking for--a varnish with UV protection or
a product that is actually nearly colorless?

If the former, all varnishes will yellow some w/ time, UV-inhibitors
can help, but don't eliminate it completely. All varnishes have a
certain amount of color if you're talking of initial color.

If you really want a "non-yellowing" finish out of the can, your best
bet is probably either an ultra-blond shellac or lacquer.

Knowing more about the project and end objective would undoubtedly help
w/ more specific advice.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

dpb wrote in message
.com...

Cheri wrote:
I'm looking for a brand of varuthane (sp) that doesn't turn yellow

after
application and stays clear. I haven't had any luck in finding it so
far.

Varathane _is_ a brand name -- a RustOleum product, specifically.

Not sure what you're really asking for--a varnish with UV protection or
a product that is actually nearly colorless?

If the former, all varnishes will yellow some w/ time, UV-inhibitors
can help, but don't eliminate it completely. All varnishes have a
certain amount of color if you're talking of initial color.

If you really want a "non-yellowing" finish out of the can, your best
bet is probably either an ultra-blond shellac or lacquer.

Knowing more about the project and end objective would undoubtedly help
w/ more specific advice.

I did some stenciling of roses on a white surfaced, wooden bread box,
and I want to seal it with varnish or something like that, so it can be
wiped easily without being too careful, but I want it to stay white and
not turn yellow as I've seen some varnishes do. Maybe I'll try the
ultra-blond shellac. Thanks.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

Abe wrote in message ...
I'm looking for a brand of varuthane (sp) that doesn't turn yellow

after
application and stays clear. I haven't had any luck in finding it so
far.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp...ct_id=66&SBL=1

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=urethane+non+yellowing

Thanks I think the Diamond Star is what I'm looking for. Thanks to all
for the answers.

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb

Cheri wrote:
dpb wrote in message
.com...

Knowing more about the project and end objective would undoubtedly help
w/ more specific advice.

I did some stenciling of roses on a white surfaced, wooden bread box,
and I want to seal it with varnish or something like that, so it can be
wiped easily without being too careful, but I want it to stay white and
not turn yellow as I've seen some varnishes do. Maybe I'll try the
ultra-blond shellac. Thanks.

The other alternative I intended to mention (and I think some others
did) that is probably the better choice for such a project is a
water-based varnish.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:51:26 -0700, "Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom
wrote:

I did some stenciling of roses on a white surfaced, wooden bread box,
and I want to seal it with varnish or something like that, so it can be
wiped easily without being too careful, but I want it to stay white and
not turn yellow as I've seen some varnishes do. Maybe I'll try the
ultra-blond shellac. Thanks.

I'm not sure but Doesn't shellac turn white when wet, obscuring the
roses?

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dewaxed shellac is quite impervious to moisture. I mix mine from
flakes.

wrote:

I did some stenciling of roses on a white surfaced, wooden bread box,
and I want to seal it with varnish or something like that, so it can be
wiped easily without being too careful, but I want it to stay white and
not turn yellow as I've seen some varnishes do. Maybe I'll try the
ultra-blond shellac. Thanks.

I'm not sure but Doesn't shellac turn white when wet, obscuring the
roses?

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair
Cheri

wrote:

I did some stenciling of roses on a white surfaced, wooden bread box,
and I want to seal it with varnish or something like that, so it can

be
wiped easily without being too careful, but I want it to stay white

and
not turn yellow as I've seen some varnishes do. Maybe I'll try the
ultra-blond shellac. Thanks.

I'm not sure but Doesn't shellac turn white when wet, obscuring the
roses?

I'm not sure either, but when I did shellac a bed post headboard with
stencilling, it looked fine, and then turned yellow, while the rest of
the bed frame remained white. That's what I'm trying to avoid. One day
when I have nothing but money to invest, I would like to bring both of
these items back to original wood, since they are over fifty years old,
but for now, paint and shellac is the best I can do. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cheri" gserviceatinreachdotcom wrote in message
. ..
I'm looking for a brand of varuthane (sp) that doesn't turn yellow after
application and stays clear. I haven't had any luck in finding it so
far.

TIA

--
Cheri

My wife is an artist. Some years ago she undertook a project to paint a
large mural upon a school cafeteria wall. The architect specified an
expensive non-yellowing varnish. She used what they specified but
everywhere she overlapped showed and they refused to pay.

The paint stores all agreed that what she used was the best available but
that there was no such thing as a non yellowing clear coat of any kind in
the absolute.

In the end, my wife spent more time with a sun lamp bleaching out the
overlaps than she had on the mural. When she was finished, the yellowing
did not show and everyone was happy but her. Hours and hours of sun lamp
against a tile wall gave her severe headaches.

Good luck!
Randy R. Cox