Posted to alt.home.repair
JJ

Default Chipmunk help??

My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work
either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

They cause no damage other than some holes.

They are part of nature and busy little guys. Just smile and leave them
be....

Posted to alt.home.repair

JJ wrote:
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work
either.

Get a cage trap. Get a cheap plastic tub/bin that will hold the trap.

Bait the trap, drown the vermin in the tub, dump, and repeat as needed.

Another option is the Giant Destroyer Smoke Bombs that you insert in
their hole. Use long matches to avoid the hot sparks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

They live outside right, so why bother them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
jackson

"m Ransley" wrote in message
They live outside right, so why bother them.

They eat up the garden, and when they do get into the house it's a nasty
deal. Check previous posts regarding that issue. Personally my recommended
solution is this:

http://www.pyramidair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=366

Works like a charm on little buggers.....

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

m Ransley wrote:

They live outside right, so why bother them.

They get in the house. They carry diseases and can cause damage to
electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need to be
controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the house.

That's why.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Kyle Boatright

"m Ransley" wrote in message
They live outside right, so why bother them.

They undermine footings and foundations in addition to putting ankle
breaking holes in the ground...

A cage trap is the solution. Catch 'em and relocate 'em a few miles away.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

They dont put ankle breaking holes in the ground, their holes are to
small, they dont eat my garden or undermine foundations, but I agree
with them getting in the house is bad, so is their chirp loud.

Posted to alt.home.repair
The Other Funk

"JJ" wrote in message
. net...
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't
work either.

Dog friendly? Isn't the dog the solution?
--
Coffee worth staying up for - NY Times
www.moondoggiecoffee.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

JJ wrote:
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work
either.

Rodenator not only effective, but fun as well.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...enator&pl=true

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 21:04:01 GMT, "JJ" wrote:

My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work
either.

I've about had it with my population, too. They've undermined my
aboveground pool; have holes everywhere; have eaten too many pepper
plants. . ..

I'm going to go with Trapper John's cure
[http://asktrapperjohn.com/faq.htm ] and make bait stations loaded
with Ro-Dex.

He doesn't describe the bait station very well-- but what I've seen
online is- a pair of 24" 3-4" pvc with a reducing T between.
The 1 1/2 leg is just high enough for access to drop the bait in and
capped to keep critters and rain out.

The chipmunks go to their holes to die.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 27 Jun 2006 17:19:20 -0700, "Ether Jones"

They cause no damage other than some holes.

Not true. They get in the house.

They can get in the house, but most aren't interested. Don't leave
their favorite foods lying around, or garbage in the inside garbage
can overnight, nd the rest won't be interested.

They carry diseases

Only the ones who have caught a disease. The vast majority don't.

and can cause
damage to electrical wiring possibly causing a house fire. They need
to be controlled if there are large numbers within 50 feet of the
house.

They are part of nature and busy little guys. Just smile and leave them
be....

That's what I thought until I found out otherwise, the hard way.

People who find out the hard way are usually concerned that other
people will suffer the same way they did, and that's good. But I'm
sure you're a quite ununusal case, compared to millions of homes that
have chipmunks around.

We had chipmunks within 50 feet of our house, maybe 10 feet, but only
a few, every year for the 8 years we lived in the indiaanpolsi summer,
and they never caused any problem. We had squirrels every year for 10
years that we lived in a small town in Western Pa, and they never
caused any trouble, except one summer when we were away for 10 days, a
squirrel or two came on our back porch and ate a little bit out of
every buckeye that I had collected from our buckeye tree, about 50 or
100 of them. But that was outside, and buckeyes are one of their
favorite foods.

Even my mother, who worried about all kinds of stuff, so much that it
drove me crazy, never worried or uttered a word of concern about a
chipmunk or squirrel. Maybe she knew her house, her kitchen, was
clean enough they wouldn't be interested.

If you see the chipmunk population proliferating near your home, it's
best to act before they get into the house.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Wiss

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I've about had it with my population, too. They've undermined my
aboveground pool; have holes everywhere; have eaten too many pepper
plants. . ..

They eat my mom's plants too. Using a rat trap that got 32 last year. As of
early June it was 5 this year. They are only maintaining the population,
not decreasing it.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

RobertPatrick wrote:
"The Other Funk" wrote in

"JJ" wrote in message
. net...
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any
dog-friendly cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much
success. On one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose
but that didn't work either.

Dog friendly? Isn't the dog the solution?

My dog is fast, but she can't catch a chipmunck. Have you ever seen the
chipmunk run and hop? They are super fast.

My lazy, old cat gets them. I guess they must make a nice lunchtime
snack. She eats everything except the tail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Eric in North TX wrote:
JJ wrote:
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work
either.

Rodenator not only effective, but fun as well.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...enator&pl=true

their tunnels can go a long way, while someone gets their jollies they
might just break a water, sewer, or other line.

a tunnel might allow the gas to enter your home, what you do to their
home can happen to yours too.

killing of small defensless creatures..... so sad

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht

Stubby wrote:

RobertPatrick wrote:

-snip-
My dog is fast, but she can't catch a chipmunck. Have you ever seen the
chipmunk run and hop? They are super fast.

My lazy, old cat gets them. I guess they must make a nice lunchtime
snack. She eats everything except the tail.

Dogs chase-- cats wait.

Jim

Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke

Stubby wrote:

RobertPatrick wrote:
"The Other Funk" wrote in

"JJ" wrote in message
. net...
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any
dog-friendly cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much
success. On one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose
but that didn't work either.

Dog friendly? Isn't the dog the solution?

My dog is fast, but she can't catch a chipmunck. Have you ever seen the
chipmunk run and hop? They are super fast.

My lazy, old cat gets them. I guess they must make a nice lunchtime
snack. She eats everything except the tail.

I think the cat leaves the tail as a trophy. I remember coming home from a
trip and finding that the semiferal stray who lived under the garage had
laid out five squirrel-tails in a row on the front porch, just as neat as
you please.

The rat snake, on the other hand, would eat the whole thing. Neither seemed
much interested in chipmunks though, they both seemed to prefer gray
squirrels.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Posted to alt.home.repair
Ether Jones

mm wrote:

People who find out the hard way are usually concerned that other
people will suffer the same way they did, and that's good. But I'm
sure you're a quite ununusal case, compared to millions of homes that
have chipmunks around.

We had chipmunks within 50 feet of our house, maybe 10 feet, but only
a few...

"but only a few"

Like I said, if they start to proliferate you need to do something
about it.

They are NOT cute when they get into the walls and attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JJ wrote:
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any dog-friendly
cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much success. On
one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose but that didn't work
either.

What are they eating? If they're really proliferating there must be a
good food source around; if you can cut that off you're halfway there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

JJ wrote:
My yard is being overrun with those cutesy chipmunks. Any
dog-friendly cures?
I've tried cut-up hot peppers down the hole, but without much
success. On one hole I tried flooding them out with the garden hose
but that didn't work either.

Think cat. You can even borrow one. Fun for the cat, it'll thank you later.