Posted to alt.home.repair
Autumn

Default HELP!! I have a chipmunk living IN my house

While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a frightened
chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little crack by the
dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living room under my hubby's
chair. Upon further investigation I find he has been burrowing in my 6 foot
tall corn plant. There is black dirt all over the light green carpeting.

Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also hate to
have him tear my house up.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

big traps ? i'd worry less baout huring the thing than it spreading
disease into your home.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Autumn" wrote in message
. com...
While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a frightened
chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little crack by the
dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living room under my hubby's
chair. Upon further investigation I find he has been burrowing in my 6
foot tall corn plant. There is black dirt all over the light green
carpeting.

Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also hate to
have him tear my house up.

Thanks

Buy a HavAHart trap( I believe that's the way it's spelled). It's a live
trap. We got one when we had desert chipmunks come into our back yard and
set up residence. We relocated them, but either there were more, or they
found their way back. After weeks of trapping and ongoing aggravation, we
just bought rat traps, and within a few days, the problem was solved.

Rodents are cute. They also carry fatal diseases, bubonic plague and
hantavirus for a couple. They dig everywhere, scatter stuff, chew up stuff,
and defecate and urinate wherever the urge hits them. Treat them as you
will, but recognize them for what they are ........... disease carrying
vermin.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
rosebud

What odd quirk of fate caused Steve B to generate the following ::
"Autumn" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

You'd be very surprised how far you have to relocate them. Squirrels
have to be taken about 10 miles away.

bonnie
Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"Autumn" wrote in message
. com...
While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a frightened
chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little crack by the
dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living room under my hubby's
chair. Upon further investigation I find he has been burrowing in my 6
foot tall corn plant. There is black dirt all over the light green
carpeting.

Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also hate to
have him tear my house up.

Thanks

There are some Havahart traps, as Steve suggested.

Before buying one, check with your local animal shelter or Humane Shelter
(or even Alley Cat Allies, if you have a local chapter). They will often
let you borrow a trap. Whether you buy or borrow, make sure they know it is
for a chipmunk because these traps come in a wide variety of sizes.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:31:33 GMT, "Autumn"
wrote:

While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a frightened
chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little crack by the
dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living room under my hubby's
chair. Upon further investigation I find he has been burrowing in my 6 foot
tall corn plant. There is black dirt all over the light green carpeting.

Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also hate to
have him tear my house up.

Thanks

Think CAT.
Get one as a pet, borrow one, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Autumn

Unfortunately I am horribly allergic to cats so we will have to resort to
one of the other suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Autumn

What do you use for bait?

Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"Autumn" wrote in message
y.com...
What do you use for bait?

Check with people at your local animal shelter. They are usually good
sources of information for questions like this. I would *guess* (but it's
only a guess) that almost any food item would do. Based on what I see our
squirrels head for, I think I would start with sunflower seed and grains.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
MaryL

"Autumn" wrote in message
. com...
While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a frightened
chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little crack by the
dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living room under my hubby's
chair. Upon further investigation I find he has been burrowing in my 6
foot tall corn plant. There is black dirt all over the light green
carpeting.

Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also hate to
have him tear my house up.

Thanks

As an addendum to this thread, I suggest that you also take steps to keep
other chipmunks *out.* After all, if one can get in, others may follow --
and you might *already* have a family residing in your home. I have never
had chippies in my house. However, I grew up in a very old frame home in
Ohio, and for some time we had problems with field mice coming indoors. We
went all over the house and looked for any cracks and crevices (even tiny
ones). We would plug them completely with steel wool. That eventually
worked, and it is the *only* thing that really worked for us. Look,
especially, for openings around drain pipes or under doors. If you keep
your windows, check the screens to make sure they are secure. In the
meantime (while you wait to trap your little guest), place all grains,
cereals, and flour items in secure containers (or even in the refrigerator
or freezer). In fact, I would do the same thing for anything edible that is
not in a tin can or very sturdy plastic container (for example, anything
stored in plastic bags). Otherwise, you may find a little hold chewed in
the back of one of those packages. Rodents can literally "sniff out" edible
products that we would think are safe. Once you catch the little chippie in
a HavAHart trap, keep it set for awhile because it is likely that there may
be more to come.

Good luck! Chippies are really cute, but they can also be very destructive
in a house.

MaryL

Posted to alt.home.repair
dicko

On Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:39:25 GMT, "Autumn"
wrote:

What do you use for bait?

plain old sunflower seeds works for me. peanuts too.

dickm
Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"rosebud" wrote

You'd be very surprised how far you have to relocate them. Squirrels have
to be taken about 10 miles away.

bonnie

The secret I forgot to mention is that they must be allowed to soak at the
bottom of a creek for ten minutes.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

"Autumn" wrote in message
y.com...
What do you use for bait?

Peanut butter. They have to lick it to get it off, so will spring the latch
device, whether on a live trap or a kill trap.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

Years ago one entered our home thru a open door I guess, had propped
open bringing in groceries.

He was SCARED, I put a coffee can in the corner he was trying to hide
in, he went in I put lid on can FAST, had gloves on, and released him
outdoors.

I think they are cute

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a frightened
chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little crack by the
dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living room under my hubby's
chair. Upon further investigation I find he has been burrowing in my 6 foot
tall corn plant. There is black dirt all over the light green carpeting.

Next time he goes in there, put a brick over the hole**, take the
plant outside, bprrow a convertible and go 10 miles away, lift up the
brick, ring the triangle to tell him dinner is ready, and he'll be
out of your hair. If the triangle doesn't work, pour a gallon of
water down the hole.

**Or a big sock with a brick over that.

Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also hate to
have him tear my house up.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 25 Jun 2006 14:08:53 -0700, "
wrote:

Years ago one entered our home thru a open door I guess, had propped
open bringing in groceries.

He was SCARED, I put a coffee can in the corner he was trying to hide
in, he went in I put lid on can FAST, had gloves on, and released him
outdoors.

I think they are cute

I think so too. I think it was the 9th grade, or 5th grade, we had to
write something on what animal we would want to be. I said a
chipmunk.
Posted to alt.home.repair
markansas859

Autumn wrote:
While picking up after breakfast this morning I watched as a
frightened chipmunk ran across my dining room floor into a little
crack by the dishwasher. Few minutes later he ran into the living
room under my hubby's chair. Upon further investigation I find he has
been burrowing in my 6 foot tall corn plant. There is black dirt all
over the light green carpeting.
Suggestions anyone???

Not sure what to use to get rid of him. Hate to hurt him, but also
hate to have him tear my house up.

Thanks

give him a name,,,,,,,,,, ALVIN!!!!!

--

**5** days until I pull $1,100 a year account from ALLTEL WIRELESS

Posted to alt.home.repair
mark

"Autumn" wrote in message
y.com...
Unfortunately I am horribly allergic to cats so we will have to resort to
one of the other suggestions.

Get A pet skunk I heard they like to eat them.