Posted to alt.home.repair
coordinator

Default Fan lights

We put in 10 Hunter fan light units model # 20765 in our church
auditorium and they look
great, but when the fans & lights are on together it looks like a disco
room. Is there a shield or something else we could use to keep the
light from going up in to the fan blades.
Any "HELP" would be greatly appreciated

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"coordinator" wrote in message
ups.com...
We put in 10 Hunter fan light units model # 20765 in our church
auditorium and they look
great, but when the fans & lights are on together it looks like a disco
room. Is there a shield or something else we could use to keep the
light from going up in to the fan blades.
Any "HELP" would be greatly appreciated

That model appears to have a dish shaped globe to go around the lamp. I
assume you are bothered by the shadow the blades cast on the cieling. It is
problem with most cieling fans. You can try making an opaque disk to cover
the top of the globe and prevent the light from shining up but I think you
will discover this reduces the total illumination in the room. Enclosing
the bulbs may also reduce the fixture rating to requiring only 60W bulbs
(not sure what it is now but it will be on a sticker on the fan or lamp
housing)

I would suggest getting some halogen flood lights and mounting them so they
spread light above the fans and onto the cieling. This bright light will
reduce the appearance of the shadows without changing the fan lamps.

Posted to alt.home.repair
autonut843

I think you should try a different light kit, one that only shines
down. Or, maybe you could experiment with a piece of masonite, cut it
like a donut and see how that does. When you have the diameter that
works, make the donut out of metal (think ductwork) so it is not a fire
hazard from the heat of the bulb. That's how I'd attack the problem.

Another option would be to just abandon the light kits with the fans
and install 10 lights between the fans, mount the lights on down-rods
so the lights are only shining down and are on the same plane as the
fan blades.

Or, add some lights that shine UP that fully illuminate the ceiling
BRIGHTER than the light that goes up through the fan blades so the
disco light that filters through the blades is washed out by that new
light. Again, these light fixtures would probably want to be mounted
about the same height as the fans. You could experiment with this
option by using your halogen work lights and temporarily placing them
on ladders, etc. and directing them to see how best to wash out the
disco effect. I would definitely experiment with the halogens before
investing any more in additional fixtures. If the temporary work
lights fix the problem you will know how to proceed.