Posted to alt.home.repair

Default liquid nails removal from granite countertop

My A$$HOLE !@!@#$%^&*() contractor attached the dishwasher to the
underside of our granite countertop with liquid nails. The only way I
see of now removing said dishwasher for repair or replacement is sawing
off the metal tabs that are holding it in place or applying some kind
of solvent to the countertop.

Has anyone ever used "liquid nails remover"? is this going to damage
the countertop?

I am refraining from ripping him a new one until he fixes said problem
to my satisfaction but it is not easy.

must control fist of death!

Lenora

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
oups.com...
My A$$HOLE !@!@#$%^&*() contractor attached the dishwasher to the
underside of our granite countertop with liquid nails. The only way I
see of now removing said dishwasher for repair or replacement is sawing
off the metal tabs that are holding it in place or applying some kind
of solvent to the countertop.

Has anyone ever used "liquid nails remover"? is this going to damage
the countertop?

What do you suggest as an alternative? What is the accepted method of
securing a DW to a granite top? I'd be afraid of drilling it or adding any
anchors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
GoHabsGo

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
What do you suggest as an alternative? What is the accepted method of
securing a DW to a granite top? I'd be afraid of drilling it or
adding any anchors.

Added a strip of hardwood between the cabinet sides, attached at each side
to the cabinet with an angle bracket. Then screw the D/W to the hardwood.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

I'd be very cautious of using acetone. It's extemely volitile and
flammable.

Since the adhesive is between the metal tabs and countertop, it's going to
be difficult for any solvent to soak into the bond line and dissolve the
glue. You'll need something that is low in volitility and won't run all
over the place. Try spraying the bonded clips with a penetrating oil like
WD-40 and keep it wet for a few days to see if this works. You might find
that it softens the adhesive enough that you can pry it apart with a putty
knife. Once you get the clips off, you should be able to remove the residue
with mineral spirits (also flammable) and elbow grease.

Tom

If you are going to use a solvent, I suggest you start with mineral spirits.
wrote in message
oups.com...
My A$$HOLE !@!@#$%^&*() contractor attached the dishwasher to the
underside of our granite countertop with liquid nails. The only way I
see of now removing said dishwasher for repair or replacement is sawing
off the metal tabs that are holding it in place or applying some kind
of solvent to the countertop.

Has anyone ever used "liquid nails remover"? is this going to damage
the countertop?

I am refraining from ripping him a new one until he fixes said problem
to my satisfaction but it is not easy.

must control fist of death!

Lenora

Cracks in granite countertop - how serious ? ivk Home Repair 17 December 11th 05 02:30 AM
Granite tile countertop questions Home Repair 4 December 8th 05 07:51 AM
Best granite countertop cleaner / polish ? Steve Henderson Home Repair 4 November 14th 05 03:48 PM
No Nails removal shushin UK diy 3 September 5th 05 09:42 AM
Formica Countertop Removal [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 9th 05 03:41 PM