Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long to worry about my sweat solder joints?

Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement.
Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of
time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I
assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT

With today's lead free solder and fluxes, I have experienced leaks develop
up to 3 days after pressurizing the system. I think that some of the flux
burned as the solder liquefied and created a route for the water to push out
the flux and create a leaker.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement.
Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of
time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I
assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Check three times a day for a year.

On the other hand, I could be teasing.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement.
Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of
time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I
assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Check three times a day for a year.

On the other hand, I could be teasing.

He is teasing. Twice a day in plenty.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement.
Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of
time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I
assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

I know what you are going through! If you paid some nitwit to do it, you
wouldn't worry at all, but since you did it...

I have never had one leak that didn't leak immediately. Try to relax.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement.
Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of
time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I
assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

Thanks,
Kevin

I have also seen leaks develop after a couple days. I have seen joints
that were missed when soldiered and hold. One job leaks were popping up for
about three months. But this kind of stuff is not that common, most leaks
show up right away. Another thing you can do is get a small stick and tap
the joints, don't beat the crap out of it. Also if the pipes are in contact
with any metal that can cause electrolyses so wrap the pipe with ten-mill
tape were metal is. We just had a leak were a drywall screw was besides a
pipe, the pipe was installed 3 years ago. Most the piping we do we pump up
to 160 PSI that will find a leak.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for the tip about the foreign metals. I have some hangars I'm
using buy they're all copper plated.

Thanks again all. I'll look at it in a few days and then forget about
it..

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 25 Jun 2006 18:08:10 -0700, "
wrote:

Hi all. I just installed some new copper water lines in my basement.
Everything seems to be great with no leaks. Is there any length of
time I should be checking the joints periodically for? Or, can I
assume all will be fine if I see no leaks now?

Thanks,
Kevin

FACT: Solder takes 15 to 20 years to set and completely harden. Since
you are obviously not a plumber, you got a lot to worry about.....

CONSIDER THIS:
Worry is good for your mental health. Being a professional in the
Mental Health industry, I advise you to continue to worry every second
of every day for the rest of your life, or until you come to my office
for help. I'll be happy to see you for a measly $230 per hour and
might even give you a prescription for some good psychiatric drugs.

As your new doctor, I advise you to continue to worry. Particularly
today and tonight. See if you can become so stressed that you have a
panic attack and end up in the hospital emergency room. Then call me
in the morning for an appointment. (I'll try to get you in my
schedule this week).

Just remember, those pipes are going to burst. I repeat those pipes
are going to burst. Those pipes are going to burst.......
Those pipes are GOING to BURST......

I think I hear water dripping, hurry, run to the basement...
THOSE PIPES ARE GOING TO BURST....
HURRY ..... RUN !!!!!
I am picturing a 1/2 inch copper pipe swelled up to FOUR FEET in
diameter, right next to one of your crappy sweat joints, and it's
gonna blow in a few seconds....... H U R R Y ! ! ! !

Dr. Floyd Maddock - psychiatrist
1-308-555-1590

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Sigh. I can't even tease someone when you're around. You're no fun.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
om...

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
Check three times a day for a year.

On the other hand, I could be teasing.

He is teasing. Twice a day in plenty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

how much would be damaged if it leaked? in a unfinished basement with a
concrete floor and drain no biggie.

most leaks are self sealing.... thats the green scunge at joints the
water leaks slow and sediment clogs the leak.

iuf its a high value area buy a water alarm......

frankly I would forget about it, theres always stuff breaking in a home

ever ruin the PCB when changing ICs? komodore comrade Electronics Repair 13 August 7th 05 10:30 AM
soldering Eric and Megan Swope Home Repair 9 May 18th 05 05:21 PM
Sweating ball valves Proctologically Violated©® Metalworking 24 May 4th 05 01:37 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
I LOVE Speedfit! David W.E. Roberts UK diy 53 August 14th 03 05:05 PM