Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Yankee

Default Replacing original aluminum windows

I think I'm up to replacing the original aluminum windows in my 25
year-old-house (Texas) with energy efficient vinal replacement windows - the
exterior around some windows is brick, some have siding around them. I'm
wondering about the best way to get the old windows out - some of the folks
I've talked with say (after getting the glass out) to just use a saws-all to
cut through the nailing strips around the old windows behind the exterior
surface and take out the window - some of the "Instalation Guides" I've seen
talk about "collapsing the old window frame" (after getting the old glass
out), but I don't understand howe I'm gonna collapse the old window frame if
it's got nailing strips nailed into the woode frame all around the window.
Any suggestions? Thank!

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

Texas Yankee wrote:
I think I'm up to replacing the original aluminum windows in my 25
year-old-house (Texas) with energy efficient vinyl replacement windows - the
exterior around some windows is brick, some have siding around them. I'm
wondering about the best way to get the old windows out - some of the folks
I've talked with say (after getting the glass out) to just use a saws-all to
cut through the nailing strips around the old windows behind the exterior
surface and take out the window - some of the "Installation Guides" I've seen
talk about "collapsing the old window frame" (after getting the old glass
out), but I don't understand how I'm gonna collapse the old window frame if
it's got nailing strips nailed into the Woodie frame all around the window.
Any suggestions? Thank!

When I had mine done the crew did pretty much what you describe, took
out the glass and used a wonder-bar to fold the frame. There were a few
I wanted to keep, and they did the other method you suggest with the
sawzall. I've pulled a few windows and doors that way, just use a metal
cutting blade and as you go around you can feel the nails and screws,
with a new blade they really don't put up much of a fight.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Yankee

Thanks for the info - I don't understand something you said - "used a
wonder-bar to fold the frame" - when you're collapsing the frame without
cutting the nailing strips, what happens to the nailing strips - is there
any damage to the surrounding frame, where the nailing strips are attached?

Thanks!

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
ups.com...

Texas Yankee wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

Texas Yankee wrote:
Thanks for the info - I don't understand something you said - "used a
wonder-bar to fold the frame" - when you're collapsing the frame without
cutting the nailing strips, what happens to the nailing strips - is there
any damage to the surrounding frame, where the nailing strips are attached?

Usually a window frame is made from 2 X 4s when the house is built,
that would be the "nailing strips". Surprizingly little usually holds
the windows in place, once the inside trim is removed. Little damage is
done usually, but is you sazall them out you might be able to sell them
for use in a workshop or something and recoup some of your cost. I
didn't mention it before but the removal is an inside job, remove the
trim and there should be about a 1/2" gap around the windows with a few
shims used to square things up when they were installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Yankee

I'm not interested in salvaging the old windows - I'm still having a hard
time understanding what happens to the nailing strips - the "fins" that are
part of the aluminum window frame that get nailed to the wooden window
framing before the siding or brick is placed as veneer - if I collapse the
existing frames, do the nailing strips just teat our with little or no
damage to the wood surrounding the window? Thanks!
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...

Texas Yankee wrote:
Thanks for the info - I don't understand something you said - "used a
wonder-bar to fold the frame" - when you're collapsing the frame without
cutting the nailing strips, what happens to the nailing strips - is there
any damage to the surrounding frame, where the nailing strips are
attached?

Usually a window frame is made from 2 X 4s when the house is built,
that would be the "nailing strips". Surprizingly little usually holds
the windows in place, once the inside trim is removed. Little damage is
done usually, but is you sazall them out you might be able to sell them
for use in a workshop or something and recoup some of your cost. I
didn't mention it before but the removal is an inside job, remove the
trim and there should be about a 1/2" gap around the windows with a few
shims used to square things up when they were installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX

I honestly haven't much experience with that type window & forgot they
existed until you pointed that out. My guess is that most of them will
bust out the aluminum and leave the nails behind, but worst case
scenario, you'll dislodge a brick or 2. You might want to re-post the
question perhaps rephrased bit tomorrow, when the people are a bit
livelier. Hopefully you'll find someone who knows some tricks or has at
least pulled a few of those.
Texas Yankee wrote:
I'm not interested in salvaging the old windows - I'm still having a hard
time understanding what happens to the nailing strips - the "fins" that are
part of the aluminum window frame that get nailed to the wooden window
framing before the siding or brick is placed as veneer - if I collapse the
existing frames, do the nailing strips just teat our with little or no
damage to the wood surrounding the window? Thanks!
"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Texas Yankee wrote:
Thanks for the info - I don't understand something you said - "used a
wonder-bar to fold the frame" - when you're collapsing the frame without
cutting the nailing strips, what happens to the nailing strips - is there
any damage to the surrounding frame, where the nailing strips are
attached?

Usually a window frame is made from 2 X 4s when the house is built,
that would be the "nailing strips". Surprizingly little usually holds
the windows in place, once the inside trim is removed. Little damage is
done usually, but is you sazall them out you might be able to sell them
for use in a workshop or something and recoup some of your cost. I
didn't mention it before but the removal is an inside job, remove the
trim and there should be about a 1/2" gap around the windows with a few
shims used to square things up when they were installed.

The answer is yes. Any damage will be covered up
when the new window is in.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Gammon

Sawing thru the nails in the nailing strips is easy to do.

Once the nailing strips are cut all the way around the window, the
window can be collapsed and the nailing strips will come along as the
window is collapsed (basically, take one side and PULL or PUSH until the
window bends - once the first part bends, the window is almost out)

Texas Yankee wrote:

Thanks for the info - I don't understand something you said - "used a
wonder-bar to fold the frame" - when you're collapsing the frame without
cutting the nailing strips, what happens to the nailing strips - is there
any damage to the surrounding frame, where the nailing strips are
attached?

Usually a window frame is made from 2 X 4s when the house is built,
that would be the "nailing strips". Surprizingly little usually holds
the windows in place, once the inside trim is removed. Little damage is
done usually, but is you sazall them out you might be able to sell them
for use in a workshop or something and recoup some of your cost. I
didn't mention it before but the removal is an inside job, remove the
trim and there should be about a 1/2" gap around the windows with a few
shims used to square things up when they were installed.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"Eric in North TX" wrote in message
oups.com...

Usually a window frame is made from 2 X 4s when the house is built,
that would be the "nailing strips". Surprizingly little usually holds
the windows in place, once the inside trim is removed. Little damage is
done

This question is for Eric and the group.

There were 1000's of homes built in the 70's where there is no trim. The AL
window was attached to the studs and drywall was butted and finished. Brick
was laid on the outside to completely cover the nailing flange. I am
assuming that there is about .5-.75" of nailing flange over the studs. This
is also a wild guess but I guess the brick covers about the same amount of
the window frame. To get out you are going to have to cut out the drywall,
at least the "inside the opening part".

Exactly where and what do you cut with the sawsall? You can't cut from in to
out. Brick is out there. You can't cut through the nails because the frame
is L shaped and blocks getting the saw between the OS of the stud and the
window frame. I can see where you could have a "quality install" if you
could get it all out. The brick would cover the raw edges on the outside
and trim could be added to the inside.

Colbyt

Windows replacing: needed scaffolding? Gianfra UK diy 9 May 3rd 13 04:39 AM
STATEWIDE Windows (also vs. other brands) chester Home Repair 8 October 30th 06 11:26 PM
How to replace aluminum windows with "fin" ?? Keith Home Repair 5 August 3rd 05 07:56 PM
Aluminum wiring... Roy Metalworking 15 February 20th 05 07:20 PM
Replacing windows - keeping old art glass? [email protected] Home Repair 3 November 15th 04 02:16 PM